King/Ashley 5500m ignitor adjustment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

student549

Feb 3, 2012
DC Metro
I liked the little US Stove window unit and so I got their 5500M. I'm an aspiring pellet pig, and have about ten bags burned already since the first of February on the little window unit, and I figured that with that little guy, I'd never catch up to you venerable old-timers and got the 5500M.

But on first startup of the 5500M, the pellets didn't light, and it was obvious from my experience with the window unit that the problem is that the ignitor got pushed back into the tube about a half inch (Quality control sheet specifies this to be .187-.250 inches, and we are more like .5 inch) so the hot ignitor isn't physically close enough to the burnpot (of the 5500M)

What holds the ignitor in the tube? friction? a spring? a set screw? I'm away and can't grab it with a needlenose pliers to tug on it just yet, but I tried to find some US Stove how-to videos on YouTube to get some training. Couldn't find any. Any ideas on how to set this? I plan to call the factory, but this post might help someone else. Also, what about changing it out completely? I heard this company's products go through a lot of ignitors. Thanks to your group, I know I can get 'em from Grainger or the factory.

BTW, the auger on the window unit was squeaking, and it occurred to me I could use some pure talcum powder to lube the auger edge and tube, as talcum is a mineral. I also contemplated using some red lithium grease in small quantities, a whole tube of which is only $5 here (about a pint -- like for a grease gun in a wheel bearing shop). Problem is the petroleum carrier for the grease, but it is rated at 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Comments?

The window unit has a quiet musical singing/humming to it, which I believe is normal, and not a squeaky auger. My cat thinks there are ghosts.

-Daniel

Welcome to the bunch.

Would love to see pics of your 2 set-ups.

Dont own a US Stove but someone should be along shortly to help you. Sounds like your on the right track.

I'll PM you on the pix. Here is a youtube link to a similar setup below.

I'm goin' shopping for 4" vent pipe and kit for the 5500M. I've got to hammerdrill a 12" thick basement wall for that, solid poured concrete (long story).

The pliers didn't move the ignitor on the window unit, so I figure it is either stuck or pinned in some other way. Tube mounting bolts show from front, so it might be easy.

The window unit is terrific for any landlord who needs emergency heat for tenants, or for a renter who wants to avoid a hard pipe installation. It is quite portable,
and it is not hard to fit to the window. A bit pricey, though, and pellets get between the hinges, which is a minor annoyance.

-Daniel

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Status
Not open for further replies.