Kinetics in the cold?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteNoob

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2013
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
From my reading on here, I've gathered that hydronic splitters have problems in the cold, due to the fluid. Are there any problems with the kinetic splitters, below freezing, that would keep them from performing? For instance, would cold temps make the splines or pinions more likely to be damaged, etc.?

Or, are there ways around the fluid issues, with the hydrolic splitters?

Thanks, in advance, for any help. Might be looking for one or the other, soon.

Hydraulic fluids in splitters are not a big issue unless the splitter is used daily and year round. The average person will probably avoid using their splitter in extreme temperatures so a light weight hydraulic fluid or ATF fluid will work fine year round.

Hydraulic fluids in splitters are not a big issue unless the splitter is used daily and year round. The average person will probably avoid using their splitter in extreme temperatures so a light weight hydraulic fluid or ATF fluid will work fine year round.

I'm not the average person, I guess. We split in freezing weather. It used to be a bit difficult to start in cold weather. It made a huge difference when I switched the engine to Rotella T6 5w-40. Turns over much more easily now.

I still have the original hydraulic fluid in mine. I do plan to change it out for ATF this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.