Kinda Tricky Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toasty-Yote

Dec 13, 2022
New York
I found a few long pieces laying on the curb in Syracuse and carted them home in my car. I was surprised at how heavy they were when I picked them up. Almost locust weight. The wide growth rings are also kinda suggestive of locust but the branches were much straighter than the suburban honey locust I see around here and the little remaining bark doesn't look like locust either. Before I cut them, I thought they were maple but when I split a piece it was stringy and didn't smell like maple. I almost want to say it smelled like the dead elm I cut as a kid but that was almost 40 years ago so my memory could be off.

Kinda Tricky Wood ID

Kinda Tricky Wood ID

Kinda Tricky Wood ID

Reactions: thewoodlands
I'm thinking elm or locust.