KIDDE FIRE EXTINGUISHER RECALL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks for the heads up. Our house and RV extinguishers are both on the recall list.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I had six recalled from a few years ago. It was a very pain-free and easy process. I will need to check this recall. Thanks for the reminder.

Just got my replacement today.

I have one that's needs replaced, thanks for the heads up

I just got my new extinguishers after registering in November. They ran out of replacements. Much nicer extinguishers, made of all metal. The old ones had a lot of plastic parts.

this is great to know. I have two of them and one First Alert. Gotta call them tomorrow. Glad I jumped back on here.

There have been a few threads on this recall here, and I’ll say the same thing here I said in the last (and got flamed for it). Don’t buy cheap fire extinguishers with plastic handles. They’re really not much cheaper than good fire extinguishers, esp. when your life might someday depend on it.

I come from a many-generations long line of firefighters, and my father was a fire investigator, so I’ve seen many tragedies related to domestic fires.

The replacements are all metal. Much nicer.

The replacements are all metal. Much nicer.
Yes, MUCH nicer, quite the upgrade, I was surprised when I pulled it out of its box!

Interesting- I have a Kidde Force 9 Halon 2.5 lb extinguisher that apparently is no longer sold due to the ban on the manufacture of the gas, and it appears to be on the recall list. I wonder if they would just substitute a regular dry powder chemical type rather than the same type. Halon is a bit better for specialized applications where the powder residue from the standard ones may be a drawback.

Interesting- I have a Kidde Force 9 Halon 2.5 lb extinguisher that apparently is no longer sold due to the ban on the manufacture of the gas, and it appears to be on the recall list. I wonder if they would just substitute a regular dry powder chemical type rather than the same type. Halon is a bit better for specialized applications where the powder residue from the standard ones may be a drawback.

This is a case where you definitely want to contact Kidde. I suspect you are correct -- they would offer you an ABC dry chemical extinguisher of similar size. There is a slim possibility they may offer you an extinguisher with a halon-gas substitute, such as Halotron or a similar chemical . . . but these extinguishers tend to be relatively expensive.

Incidentally, there is quite the lucrative market for large tanks of halon . . . the type you would find protecting a computer lab, computerized records, etc. This past Summer a company clearing out a warehouse offered me two tanks approximately 3-4 feet tall. I sold them to a company in California for a little over $1,000.

You're probably right, if they don't sell them any more there wouldn't be any updated version for them to send as a replacement; they'd likely just send a regular type. With those prices for Halon, I'd have to consider if it would cost more than what it's protecting- lol

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Apparently the extinguishers still "work" but can require what they call "excessive force" to actuate the plastic handle. In any event, we got new ones throughout the house, but saved one to teach the kids how to use them.
c7zmO6Z.jpg

Last edited:
Glad I went around the house and checked them all. The interior extinguishers were fine but my two larger units in my garage were both on the recall. Thanks for posting this.

huauqui

I went through this, got the new one a couple months ago now.

Any Canadians will need to check their extinguisher on a '.ca' website. I couldn't find mine at all or anything that looked close to the model number on the .coms I was on. But found it pretty quick once I shifted to a .ca site.

Reactions: Ashful
^Excellent idea to use one of the recalled ones as a teaching tool! We swapped all six of our extinguishers last year through the recall (easy process), but a few months ago found that we forgot all about an unboxed one sitting undisturbed for years.

Don't laugh, but this Christmas we will have lots of cousins and about 8 young kids over for dinner- so why not go outside and take a few minutes to learn 'em something good!

"Aim for the base of the fire- not the top of the flames."

^Excellent idea to use one of the recalled ones as a teaching tool! We swapped all six of our extinguishers last year through the recall (easy process), but a few months ago found that we forgot all about an unboxed one sitting undisturbed for years.

Don't laugh, but this Christmas we will have lots of cousins and about 8 young kids over for dinner- so why not go outside and take a few minutes to learn 'em something good!

"Aim for the base of the fire- not the top of the flames."
Good idea. My last group of recalled extinguishers I was required to send them back post paid by kiddie. I guess many who previously took advantage of the last fecall, sold them, gave them away, never destroyed them, or relied on them in some way.

Lulz at this thread ... Kidde is SO screwed up. I'm sure UT would love
to unload 'em. This whole affair wouldn't have happened if they'd
used QUALITY components.

The Good News here is, I managed a coupla free extinguishers due
to their incompetence. So I gave 'em away to a neighbor. Hopefully
they'll work as advertised ...

_g