Kent replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jan Pijpelink

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2015
South Jersey
The baffle of my Kent is warped. Needs to be replaced. Just picked up this Avalon Rainier from 2003 in good to excellent condition. Will clean it up, paint it and install it next spring.

Attachments

• Kent replacement
    IMG_1087.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Kent replacement
    IMG_1085.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 99
Update: Have it wire brushed, cleaned and painted with Stove Bright. Took door apart and cleaned all parts. Door passes dollar test. New handle is on its way. I will do a mid season chimney cleaning tomorrow and then I will swap the Kent for the Rainier.

Attachments

• Kent replacement
    Rainier 2.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Kent replacement
    Rainier 1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: Joyboy
Looks good, That should do the job. Is the stove getting new firebrick?

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I just renovated the same stove last summer. I think it was the first EPA II stove on the market and a nice, proven simple design.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I just renovated the same stove last summer. I think it was the first EPA II stove on the market and a nice, proven simple design.

I saw a CL posting from someone in Buffalo NY who has one from 1999, asking $1,000. I paid $267 for this 2003 insert, so not a bad deal. I will post some pictures when I have it running tomorrow.

I installed the Avalon Rainier, after cleaning both chimneys. The lady of the house helped me lifting it into the fireplace. Attached are pics of the first burn and secondaries. So far, so good.
New handle is coming in next week. Need some firebrick, on its way.

Attachments

• Kent replacement
    Rainier burn 1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Kent replacement
    Rainier burn 2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: begreen
Virtually no smoke from the chimney. The temperature of the wall above the mantel is 15 degrees lower than with the Kent, meaning much less heat going out through the chimney. Very impressed so far.