Kent Barker Log Fire Insert questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

59911MT

Feb 10, 2019
Montana
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time posting. I need help figuring out what I've got and if it's safe. Like the tag says it's a Kent Barker Log Fire insert. I believe it's been put into a prefab metal fireplace. It looks like somebody built a block off plate already in the prefab unit. I can remember looking down the clay lined chimney two summers ago and there was no liner.

Here's my question, should I wait to burn anything until I get a liner in there? And, how in the heck would I get access to attach the liner to the insert?

I've (hopefully) attached pictures to help, but if I need to take more I will. Thanks in advance for the help!
Kent Barker Log Fire Insert questions Kent Barker Log Fire Insert questions Kent Barker Log Fire Insert questions Kent Barker Log Fire Insert questions

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't quite tell if this is a ZC fireplace or a heatform style fireplace. It looks like it might be the latter. That is a block-off plate above the insert and it looks like the flue stub is not stainless. That stub would need to be disconnected from the stove in order to pull out the insert. The chimney should be completely cleaned before installing a full stainless liner.

Thanks for the reply. In all the searching I've done I believe you are right with the heatform fireplace. Because I'm curious (and because my wife isn't here to tell me not to) I just kept stripping away layers and it looks like a metal box, in a metal box, in a metal box :) From what I'm hearing, I will need to remove that block off plate, then I should be able to disconnect that stub and remove the insert. From there I'd be able to run a stainless liner after the chimney is cleaned. Then I could be confident it was as safe as I could make it?

Is this insert wort that effort? If I decide to use it, should I put fire brick on at least the metal bottom?

Your knowledge is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Kent Barker Log Fire Insert questions
    15498353856495906485114506919499.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 219
You may be able to disconnect the flue stub at the insert, then lift it up so that the insert can be slid out. Put a sheet of masonite or metal underneath to make this easier. The new liner most likely should be insulated so once everything is out of the way, measure the clay liner tile ID to make sure there is room for an insulated liner.

I know very little about the insert. It was a decent design, but an oldy. A modern unit will heat better, cleaner and burn less wood. But it will insist on fully seasoned wood to perform at its best.

Here is a bit of background
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/install-on-a-kent-barker.115787/