Keep stove door not latched tightly during off season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mar13

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
Thinking that I might not wear out my stove door gasket as quickly, I sometimes close, but don't latch my door when the stove is empty and will not be used for a few days. Does this make sense? (I'm less inclined to do this during cooler weather when I might get a draft sucking air out of the house.)

The strain could also wear your hinges out faster. The latch helps to support your door.

I have never done this. Replacing a gasket every 5 or so years is not a big deal.

Reactions: St. Coemgen
I had spoken with a stove shop rep about this last fall. He said a door gasket is similar to a coil spring in that if a spring remains loaded or unloaded, it will last indefinitely. What wears it out is the action or movement of the spring. So leaving your stove door shut tight for the off season is not a problem at all.

I understand the concept of doing this, but my thought is the gasket will compress much faster with the door shut and at stove temperatures. Leaving the stove shut while cool shouldn't compress it as much.

For reasons including limiting heat loss up the flue and possible smells coming into the house, I leave my door latched shut.

I am no expert at this but I would think that would put more weight on that door and warp the surround rubber piece around the door because of changes of pressure and humidity within the house on the off season--fluff it up so to speak and then when you shut it for the winter it might be a shock to it or something and I know very little about door mechanics and just imaging this on how I would feel about what you are doing...I would not do it...clancey

Sounds like the Saturday consensus is not to worry about it and just keep the door closed and latched. Thanks.

I leave my stove door lightly latched in the off season, but I don't fully lock the door like it would if there was a fire in the stove.

Thinking that I might not wear out my stove door gasket as quickly,

Meh. I replace my gaskets every two to three years. They are too cheap and so easy to replace they are not worth worrying about wearing them out. It is a non-starter. A few good beers costs more.

Makes a lot of sense. Maybe the gaskets might puff up a bit. I do it with the side door when the stove is not running. I'm going to do it with the front door, for the summer, My front door latch is frozen in the fall. Maybe this approach will help.

Leave it shut . . . I have replaced exactly two of the three door gaskets on my stove in 13 years . . . plus the cost isn't that expensive to re-do in the long term.