Just uncovered the wood pile.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
After all the talk of covering versus uncovering a wood pile. I uncovered mine last night. It had been split and covered two months ago. I was suprised at how well it had been drying. Today, I am at work and big thunderstorm just came through. errrrrrrrrr.

shouldn't be a problem as the surface water will eveporate.. i did not cover my pile at all and it's in full sun since May - wood looks great and should be ready to burn this year (ash / red oak cut & split small )

Ha Ha, I'm just the opposite of you. I covered mine this year, and now it never rains. But it is drying nicely. This debate will go on forever. Covering works for some and not for others.

I don't cover the piles that get a lot of sun and will be burned in a year or two. I cover the tops of piles that don't get much sun. Already-seasoned piles that I won't be burning for years, I'm planning to cover all the way down to the top of the pallets they sit on because I can see the ends starting to show some decay.

Mine doesn't get much sun, but it's going to get burnt this year anway, even if I have to clean the chimney every week. I doubt it's that wet, but I'm not paying the gas company this year. It's killing me. I just ordered a PE Summit and I'm going to use it. I have a about 3 1/2 cords that was cut last spring and split this June. I'm going to scrounge 2 more cords this summer and fall for a start on next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.