Just purchased DHT 25Ton splitter from Lowes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cleuci

Oct 14, 2014
concord, nh
At what i think is an incredible price. Was on clearance for $659, and I was able to negotiate with the manager, and he dropped it for me to $525 out the door!
So question, what things should I check for on this splitter? Possible things to tighten for leaks. Or any other tips for first time users. Plan on changing the engine oil as not sure how long it's been sitting, so will do 10w30 Syn. Anything else or just start splitting? Thanks

At what i think is an incredible price. Was on clearance for $659, and I was able to negotiate with the manager, and he dropped it for me to $525 out the door!
So question, what things should I check for on this splitter? Possible things to tighten for leaks. Or any other tips for first time users. Plan on changing the engine oil as not sure how long it's been sitting, so will do 10w30 Syn. Anything else or just start splitting? Thanks
Great deal!

I’ve always broke an engine in before switching to synthetic oil. They used to recommend that in the old days maybe things have changed. The assumption was there was not enough friction with synthetic to seat the rings. I guess consult the owners manual see what’s recommend

Nice find!! Thats what I also paid but mine was a return. Looked almost new though. Very few marks on the beam.

Yes, change the engine oil. I just use a dino 10w30. Also, check every bolt. The engine bolts were just snug. From what recall, all others were tight.

Also TURN OFF the fuel line everytime you move or tow the splitter. The carb is gravity fed and when the gas is splashed around in the carb it goes into the crank case!! And, drain the carb fuel bowl when the splitter is going to sit for awhile. And of course, Stabil 360 or ? if you have ethanol gas.

Just read on another site where a guy snagged one of these machines at a PA Lowes for clearance price of 75% off...that's $275! !!!
Lucky dog! ==c

Nice find!! Thats what I also paid but mine was a return. Looked almost new though. Very few marks on the beam.

Yes, change the engine oil. I just use a dino 10w30. Also, check every bolt. The engine bolts were just snug. From what recall, all others were tight.

Also TURN OFF the fuel line everytime you move or tow the splitter. The carb is gravity fed and when the gas is splashed around in the carb it goes into the crank case!! And, drain the carb fuel bowl when the splitter is going to sit for awhile. And of course, Stabil 360 or ? if you have ethanol gas.

Thanks all. Ok good call on sticking with non syn for awhile. Also will check bolts. And always shut fuel line on all my small engines when not using. Learned the hard way having gas into cylinder and was locked up, couldn’t pull over without pulling the plug.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I shut my fuel valve off also, but since I run a blend I run the engine unitl it stops.

Yes, run until engine stops. Then drain fuel bowl. Their is a small bolt on the bottom of the fuel bowl for that purpose. And if fuel is left in the gas tank mix with a treatment or empty it also.