Just picked up a ton of Rib Mountain pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbfarm

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2012
wisconsin
I did some back searching on the site and saw that people were pleased with them. I liked the ash test someone did.

This is our first ton purchace. $210

down to about 20 bags of Uncle Jeds that came with the stove. The seller said they are comparable to the uncle jeds.

sure.

Central Sales & Consignment, on the east frontage road off of HWY 41 & Cty S in Sobieski.

He has a cheaper softwood available at $190 a ton. also sells hardwood and cherry pits.

He told us he sells a semi load a week. I believe it. I notice he gets a truckload in and 3 days later they are gone.

2 other guys were in buying smaller bag lots while we were there.

He is only about 5 miles from our house.

I wish he had a website with more info on what he's got there.

I'm about ten miles from him, I did see the cherry pit sign last time I drove by.

I'll have to stop by some time.

My cousin owns the car repair shop next to Joker fireworks just north of the weigh station.

Just curious....what do they get for the cherry pits up there?

I seem to remember the sign reading $180/ton.

Hopefully bb can confirm that.

Big cherry industry in Door County, WI...

we asked about the cherry pits since our stove can burn them. He said he doesn't have a ton price on them, just $4.95 a bag. but he said last year he sold lots of them.

I think we will like buying from this dealer since he is so close and his prices beat the pellet dealer in green bay who only gives deals to people that bought a stove from him.

You folks up by the Bay are lucky I wish we had more dealers around, here in Sauk co. we have to buy what one of the big box boys sell. I can get Jeds in Reedsburg but they are pricey.

bbfarm said:
the pellet dealer in green bay who only gives deals to people that bought a stove from him.

I would be one of those people.

Northwoodneil said:
You folks up by the Bay are lucky I wish we had more dealers around, here in Sauk co. we have to buy what one of the big box boys sell. I can get Jeds in Reedsburg but they are pricey.

Sauk county? I think you need to change your name to Southwoodneil... :lol:

I was looking at his prices and I think if you weren't a "preferred customer" in Green Bay the Jeds were $247 a ton.

well, for that price I will save $37 a ton and 50 miles round trip in gas to drive there and buy from this local dealer.

We have a bag burning now, They are burning well, seem to be tossing out the same amount of heat at the Jeds.

I'll have to snoop around over there and see whats up.

Being a preferred customer as ESES also gets you other perks.

But if you didn't but a stove from him there ain't nothing you can do about it now.

Smoke, I only live in the south to keep the money comin' in to keep the lights on at the place up north (Park Falls area)

Northwoodneil said:
Smoke, I only live in the south to keep the money comin' in to keep the lights on at the place up north (Park Falls area)

Thats a ways up there. Must be a bit of a drive for ya?

We travel an hour to go up north.

Smoke, about 3 1/2 hrs but worth every minute. Ya know you ain't up nort till ya get above 8 :lol:

Yep, been north of 8 plenty. Lake Hilbert, Fence, Goodman, Dunbar.

Thats great ATVing country up there.

Usually stay north of 64. What happens north of 64 stays north of 64.

I got 1 of my horses and 2 of my dogs up in Park Falls!

We originally looked at the afton bay and earth sense up in Lena but they went out of business and the earth sense in Green Bay didn't carry that stove.

Well bb I had the day off so when I had time I swung by Central and picked up a half dozen bags of Ribs.

Dumped the first bag in tonite, unfortunately this mild weather ain't a good test. We'll see what happens.

Initial observations are good, actually seem identical to Jed's which I really like.

I was hoping his prices would be a little lower as I'm not saving any money with Ribs.

Also afraid to try the WFI softwoods he has cause their hardwoods suck so bad.

Hope these Ribs burn as good as they smell. ;-)

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Just picked up a ton of Rib Mountain pellets
    IMAG0317.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 544
  • [Hearth.com] Just picked up a ton of Rib Mountain pellets
    IMAG0318.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 473
bbfarm said:
I was looking at his prices and I think if you weren't a "preferred customer" in Green Bay the Jeds were $247 a ton.

well, for that price I will save $37 a ton and 50 miles round trip in gas to drive there and buy from this local dealer.

We have a bag burning now, They are burning well, seem to be tossing out the same amount of heat at the Jeds.

I think the Buyer's Club costs $42/year... gets you the good prices. I think the Uncle Jed's softwoods are about $205/ton with the buyers club deal....

I cannot find cherry pits here in eastern pa! The variety of pellets are endless but the pit search continues.

The Ribs do smell good!

I just cleaned out my stove and I could tell the difference in the ashes in the ash box. the Jeds are really dark gray and the ribs are a lighter gray.

bbfarm said:
The Ribs do smell good!

I just cleaned out my stove and I could tell the difference in the ashes in the ash box. the Jeds are really dark gray and the ribs are a lighter gray.

Nice!

I think I'll run a few bags thru my Englander and see how the ash and clinker compares.

Gonna be hard to tell on the quad with Auto clean. Never forms a clinker and ash is dumped regularly.

no clinkers and no unburned pellets in the ash tray, but I never had any with the Jeds either.

Status
Not open for further replies.