Just making sure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

suprz

Sep 24, 2012
Rhode island
Building my hearth pad and want to be sure of my materials. On the floor 1/2 plywood 1/2 durock next gen ..tile. On the wall 1 inch non combustible spacers 1/2 durock and tile I really dont want to go any higher on the floor. How high should the wall protection go? I will be using double wall black pipe coming off the stove into a 90 then into a wall thimble

In order to tell you if you are building it right we need to know what R value you need on the floor and how close the stove is to the wall. Tell us what type of stove you have too. Some stoves reqiure a certain R for the floor, others just require a noncombustible floor. The area that must either meet the R value or be noncombustible should be specified by the stove maker. Walls do not require any special materials if they are outside the required clearance to combustibles distances for your stove. The manufacturer will provide a diagram showing front, back, and side clearances. if you are too close then you might need the spacers, durock, and tile walls. The wall protection has to extend high enough that when you measure diagonally from the upper corner of the stove to the wall, no part of the unprotected wall is within the clearance to combustibles distance.

(broken link removed to http://www.jotul.com/FileArchive/Files/USA/Old%20products/Old%20Stoves%20and%20inserts%20manuals/Jotul_%203TDIC_2_0394.pdf)

Looks like you need 3/8 non-combustible millboard (like Durock) . . . and that's it. I would recommend beefing up the plywood to 3/4 myself or doubling it up . . . just makes it more rigid if you plan to put tile on top fo the durock.

The manual says that with the heatshield (which my stove came with) the clearance to a combustible wall is 17 inches. Now if I am reading the nfpa rules correct I can reduce that to 12 inches (back of stove to hearth protection)

One trick you can use for the wall shield. Instead of buying spacers, just cut off long, 3" wide strips of the cement board. Double-up the strips to create 1" thick spacers strips and mount them vertically to the studs in the wall, leaving a 1" space at the bottom. Then mount the wall shield to these spacer shims. Take the wall shield 12" higher than the high point on the stove and you will be ok.

I was just wondering what you guys use on the bottom of your pads to protect the wood floor this is going over? Dont want to scratch the wood just in case....

I wouldn't worry too much about that. The pad should not be mobile. Actually I'd feel better if it was attached to the floor with a couple screws.

I don't know what space limitations you are dealing with, but I'll say that if you have room, a larger hearth and a little extra clearance are nice. Our stove always has wet boots, firewood, a bucket of kindling, etc. sitting nearby and all of those things need to be outside the clearance to combustibles. i got lucky and built the hearth larger than needed and the stove farther from the wall than needed and I am glad I did. In particular the extra tile area in front of the stove is nice for snowy winter gear to dry.

One trick you can use for the wall shield. Instead of buying spacers, just cut off long, 3" wide strips of the cement board. Double-up the strips to create 1" thick spacers strips and mount them vertically to the studs in the wall, leaving a 1" space at the bottom. Then mount the wall shield to these spacer shims. Take the wall shield 12" higher than the high point on the stove and you will be ok.

Thanks! I was just thinking about that when I read your reply. I have 1 week left before the chimney install on the 29th. Ugh I hate being rushed but the wifes kitchen isn't done till the 22nd! And that takes priority right now (if ya know what I mean)

Now I have another question...(sorry) but of the manual says minimum hearth pad dimensions for my stove is 43 deep and 38 wide, can the depth be reduced because of the wall protection? then 18 in front of the stove per code why doesn't this work on paper?.....12+17(stove)+18=47??? I am probably over thinking this....and missing something

I just dont know about this install now. I just cannot get the clearances and I know the wife did not like the hearth pad coming out 50 inches. I will have to talk to her about the 47 it will have to be. I found out that code is 12 inches from the furthest part of the stove. The stove is 17 without the heatshield and with it is at least another 4 inches. I don't think I will be getting this stove installed. Maybe.a new version with the pipe coming out the top of the stove?

Hey, it's not 50" it's 47". :) However, it doesn't sound like she is really behind the idea of a stove. Are you sure she would be ok with any hearth pad?

If she is, I'd talk with the inspector. The manual allows the clearance reduction with an NFPA shield. See if he will allow a 2/3ds reduction in the unshielded clearance. It doesn't hurt to ask. Our Jotul 602 was installed this way and the wall behind the shield was always cool, even with a 700F stove just 8" from the wall shield. If not, then get a close clearance, convective stove.

I don't think my town s inspector will budge. I was looking at the me F3CB and it has a 6 inch clearance....ugh...but is at least 1700..00

If it was up to me I would be putting in that stove or an old VC vigilant! But the wife has the final word.....even of we were to get the new f3cb, ot has to be ivory to match .....blah blah... And if the wife ain't happy.......

Something to consider with your flue, if it will work with your space: two 45 degree bends instead of a 90. Smoke tends to like that a little better.

If it was up to me I would be putting in that stove or an old VC vigilant! But the wife has the final word.....even of we were to get the new f3cb, ot has to be ivory to match .....blah blah... And if the wife ain't happy.......

You have my utmost sympathy. We went down this path. F3CB->F400->Alderlea T6 in the course of about 5 years. Fortunately because of inflation and a declining dollar value I sold the stoves for cost or a little profit.

Reactions: raybonz and milleo
Well, got some plywood and put it down on the floor, traced out the dimensions 47 x 38 and the wife OK'd it. So i guess the install is still on. I am going to put the heat shield on the stove and put the stove 12 inches out from the non combustible wall. The stove is 17 deep and i will put the pad out 18 inches from the door. At this point if it dont pass the inspector, it will be a nice piece of furniture....expensive, but nice

Status
Not open for further replies.