Just got my chimney cleaned up, ready for the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

agonyzhou

Nov 29, 2019
Maryland
Last year was my first season of serious burning, with 1.x cord of not very good wood and 1 ton of eco bricks up the chimney. The sweeper got less than one gallon of soot down, all powder. He told me everything looks fine and I am ready to burn.

The job even look simple to me: There is no need to climb the chimney. In fact he spent the most time putting back the baffle boards due to the tight angle. Maybe I should get myself a sooteater and do it myself next year.

How was it burning in the Montpelier II? Did you find the startup air control worked well? Any runaway fires?

How was it burning in the Montpelier II? Did you find the startup air control worked well? Any runaway fires?
I guess I wasn't stuffing the stove full enough to make it happen.
The startup control is a button but could be pulled out as some kind of air control lever but after a couple of months of pushing and pulling the soldering gave up. Now it can only be pushed :)
If I use my best hardwood, large splits and stuff it full late at night, I could end up with some live coal the morning after. But then I am too lazy to do that plus I don't have enough woods anyway. So I just burn whenever I am home, like during the day and in the evening. I even think cold start is easier than hot refill: If there is too much coal it will get very hot and scares me; if there is barely enough coal it smokes a lot.