Just bought Osburn 2400 free standing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dav1966

Nov 7, 2017
New Jersey
hi i just bought an osburn free standing stove after putting to rest my osburn 45 pellet stove after 12 years any others have the 2400 would like some insight from other owners of this stove im not really new to wood i burnt it before my pellet stove but stove i had at that time was not EPA certified was just iron box with bricks so im sure there will be a learning curve with a newer stove

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I can't stress this enough, you're going to want dry seasoned wood. unseasoned wood is just going to be a giant head ache.

Reactions: kdenneny
I love mine! I have the insert version, this will be the 3rd year. Works great, get it going and packed and close the air off. Let it go, easily will go 12+ hours with good wood. With the secondary's lit, it will run you out of the room.

Only thing I struggled with on the first few fires, was it likes a quick, hot start. Or is smokes back out the door at startup. But that could be my chimney setup more than the stove. My previous not so efficient fireplaces were not as picky, probably because they were set up to waste most of the heat.

Good Luck!

I love mine! I have the insert version, this will be the 3rd year. Works great, get it going and packed and close the air off. Let it go, easily will go 12+ hours with good wood. With the secondary's lit, it will run you out of the room.

Only thing I struggled with on the first few fires, was it likes a quick, hot start. Or is smokes back out the door at startup. But that could be my chimney setup more than the stove. My previous not so efficient fireplaces were not as picky, probably because they were set up to waste most of the heat.

Good Luck!
Thank that just the kind of information I’m looking for like I said I’m sure it’s gonna learning experience but info like yours will help

hi i just bought an osburn free standing stove after putting to rest my osburn 45 pellet stove after 12 years any others have the 2400 would like some insight from other owners of this stove im not really new to wood i burnt it before my pellet stove but stove i had at that time was not EPA certified was just iron box with bricks so im sure there will be a learning curve with a newer stove
Congrats on the new burner. No more buying and hauling bags of pellet$!

It's not complicated. Just accumulate dry wood and pay attention closely until you figure out how your specific setup works.

Generally, on a cold startup, set aside 30 minutes to get it going, slowly closing down the air without putting it out. Increments!

On a hot bed of coals, set aside 15 minutes for the same thing.

Once you get used to the rhythm...

Not the same rhythm as a pellet stove, that's for $ure.

It's not complicated. Just accumulate dry wood and pay attention closely until you figure out how your specific setup works.

Generally, on a cold startup, set aside 30 minutes to get it going, slowly closing down the air without putting it out. Increments!

Thanks for your help been checking out videos on you tube see a lot of folks saying the same this and lot of difference ways to set up you wood to do the warm should be interesting trying them out

The best way to figure out how to burn it is to burn it. Going on three winters with mine and as my fuel has got better it has changed how fast I can close the air supply. Wet wood will just frustrate you. Dry wood you can load her up and get it going and in 10 to 15 minutes and then choke it down all the way. Closing it in increments does seam to warm it up faster though. I heat a large space with my stove and can get overnight burns with easy relights/reloads in the morning or after work. This time of year I work with smaller fires, maybe 3 or 4 splits.

I also have the insert version. It is an absolute beast. I had a smaller insert previously that I liked, but this thing pushes out a ton more heat. I’ve been burning in the 2400 for about 8 years. I heat about 1700 sf with it.

You must burn dry fuel. It makes a huge difference. With good fuel, I can heat my house to whatever temperatures I want. I remember one super cold windy night it was -25* f with the wind chill and my living room was 80*.

I also have some smoke in the room during reloads, so I think the insert version is a little finicky in this way. If I had a taller chimney and no offset box, I’m sure I would not have this problem.

Just bought Osburn 2400 free standing
So far everyone has been on the mark I’ve been burning for 2 weeks and by the second week was getting the hang of it and this this is a heat monster for sure all my wood is 15% moisture or less bought a meter to check my wood after all the comments and watching you tube about EPA stoves I’m liking stove so far only cons I have with it is if I wanted to load north south it has to be 18 in log but if I do east west can handle 21 in. just wish it would have been same size for both ways but so far very happy with it.

Main reason I switched to wood was to many things to go wrong with pellet stove and price for service and waiting for service is crazy the dealer I bought it from says he’s not even offering pellet stove anymore because people don’t burn them right and they a pain to deal with plus I personally enjoy watch wood burn and not a blow torch looking fire I was also surprised at the size of it when I unpacked it but that really was an issue so much because I liked the look over other stoves on the market and the large glass gives an excellent view so now just wait for a real cold spell to really see how it does but don’t think it will have a problem handling it so far I’ve pretty much have to run it with damper almost closed or the house would be to hot to deal with

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 218117 So far everyone has been on the mark I’ve been burning for 2 weeks and by the second week was getting the hang of it and this this is a heat monster for sure all my wood is 15% moisture or less bought a meter to check my wood after all the comments and watching you tube about EPA stoves I’m liking stove so far only cons I have with it is if I wanted to load north south it has to be 18 in log but if I do east west can handle 21 in. just wish it would have been same size for both ways but so far very happy with it main reason I switched to wood was to many things to go wrong with pellet stove and price for service and waiting for service is crazy the dealer I bought it from says he’s not even offering pellet stove anymore because people don’t burn them right and they a pain to deal with plus I personally enjoy watch wood burn and not a blow torch looking fire I was also surprised at the size of it when I unpacked it but that really was an issue so much because I liked the look over other stoves on the market and the large glass gives an excellent view so now just wait for a real cold spell to really see how it does but don’t think it will have a problem handling it so far I’ve pretty much have to run it with damper almost closed or the house would be to hot to deal with
Looks great. And someone else seems to really enjoy it as well.

All

You are right on I have found it to be just as you said and all my wood is 15% moisture or less and it’s burning great most time I I run closed damper and is burning fine as of now our temps in mid 20’s can’t wait till gets colder and can open up air more for more flame

Dog seems more fascinated looking at the secondaries then most of us do!!