Jotul Rangely smoking inside house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Need more information on install! pictures help too

This is my pipe configuration which has 8” reducer that goes into 6” lined stainless chimney that is about 20’ high from flu

Attachments

• E349758D-6B6B-40C4-9F06-1BC0738DF909.jpeg
    E349758D-6B6B-40C4-9F06-1BC0738DF909.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 247
Begreen...I agree with you about hard right angle...it could be the problem..but I think I should first get a chimney sweep here to eliminate any problem in chimney and creosote from Vigilant...
But with 6” pipe and all those angles..I think it could be a problem..

Could be the angle of the camera . . . or maybe you don't keep the wood there when the stove is burning . . . but from a safety standpoint the wood seems a bit close to the woodstove. Again, could be the angle of the camera and all may be fine.

Just to clarify . . . it is woodsmoke and not new paint/oils from the stove burning off, correct?

Yes..woodsmoke..not new paint

I figured as much since you specifically mentioned woodsmoke and not just a "bad smell."

What were the inside and outside temps . . . is it possible you got a reverse draft?

Some info from a PM earlier:
Chimney is 25’ from where flu and stove pipe are in house..liner is 6”. Temps were in the 30s.

It should be drafting ok, that's why I suggest looking at the cap screen and upper portion of the chimney.

Also possible that it's not a straight shot up after that corkscrew goes into the chase and makes a 90.
Yes, I'm pretty sure it does. The Vigilant was connected on the diagonal to reduce the number of turns.

Check the glass seal....the geniuses at Jotul didn't have the glass on my F55 square to the door seals.

Attachments

• 20181004_174258.jpg
    20181004_174258.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 98