Jotul Rangeley overnite burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I pack in as much wood as possible and get the whole load ripping. Takes about 20-30 minutes to reach that state. If the stack cooks down enough to fit a couple more logs in I throw a couple more in and back down to ~50% air. Then after ~10 more minutes I'll dial it back to ~30%. It will keep the house toasty for the next 10 hours easily.

1,800sq ft house, btw.

I pack in as much wood as possible and get the whole load ripping. Takes about 20-30 minutes to reach that state. If the stack cooks down enough to fit a couple more logs in I throw a couple more in and back down to ~50% air. Then after ~10 more minutes I'll dial it back to ~30%. It will keep the house toasty for the next 10 hours easily.

1,800sq ft house, btw.
I gott try adding in some logs after the cook down as you mention....I always notice the space.

Btw, you asked about top temp before turning down the primary air. When the load gets fully engulfed with air !00% open the top will range from 650F - 800F depending on how long I let it rip.

One time I got distracted doing something else and came back to dim red hot sheet metal on the back of the stove near the flu. I grabbed the IR temp gun and it was over 1000F. Stove not damaged at all. Still runs flawlessly after that doozy a few years ago. I'm not recommending anything here just reporting my experience so others know what the stove can handle.

Btw, you asked about top temp before turning down the primary air. When the load gets fully engulfed with air !00% open the top will range from 650F - 800F depending on how long I let it rip.
That's too hot. Try closing down the air much sooner. It will save wood, less stress on the stove and much less stress on the stovepipe and chimney. With that high a stove top temp the flue temps must be exceptionally high. On a cold start up, with good dry wood, secondary combustion may have started with only a 250º stove top.

A better and safer guide for when to start turning down the air is the flue temp.

Reactions: MR. GLO and bholler