Jotul Rangeley overnite burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CapeCodder

Jul 22, 2018
Eastham, Ma
My new Jotul Rangely is all seasoned and I am disappointed that I can’t get an all nite burn...I would like to load it at 10 pm and keep it burning till 7am...but it runs out of wood around 2 am or so...suggestions?

My new Jotul Rangely is all seasoned and I am disappointed that I can’t get an all nite burn...I would like to load it at 10 pm and keep it burning till 7am...but it runs out of wood around 2 am or so...suggestions?
I'm not familiar with the stove but I'd be curious to know what kind of wood you're burning and how dry the wood is?

Reactions: MR. GLO
I am mostly burning oak that has seasoned for a year...
May be something to look at. I'm in southern NH so the weather here is pretty similar to where you are I'd imagine. I know there'd no way I could season oak in 1 year here unless it was pretty dry to begin with. If you have a moisture meter you can split a couple pieces open and test the moisture content to be sure.

Last edited:

I don't see it happening myself. My insert is larger than the Rangley and will not burn thru the night but I do still have hot enough coals in the morning to relight with just a small amount of kindling. My wood is under 16% measured on a fresh split. Mostly maple and ash with some birch.

How long is your flue?

Tell us about your setup and burning procedure. The rangely is a decent sized stove you should be able to run overnight on oak.

I have an f55 (similar to rangley) and you wont have flames in the morning. 200-300 STT after 8 hours yes but no flames.

My thinking (which is par for the course this time of year with folks new to using a modern woodstove) is either . . .

a) they are thinking there should be active flames for a solid 8 or 9 hours (least aways that's what I expected to see when I read about the "burn" time) whereas there is plenty of heat being produced during the coaling stage

or

b) they are running the woodstove with the air control open all the way which eats up wood quickly.

Letting us know how you run the stove will help.

1yr oak is not optimal. I'll get 10hr burns consistently with 2 or 3yr seasoned oak in my F55.

Reactions: MR. GLO
My brother always saves the fattest half splits for overnighters. Better to have 3 fatties than 5 or 6 smaller splits.

My brother always saves the fattest half splits for overnighters. Better to have 3 fatties than 5 or 6 smaller splits.
I disagree with that. I always get longer burns packing as much wood as i can in the stove which means a big one or two then fill all of the spaces with small stuff.

I disagree with that. I always get longer burns packing as much wood as i can in the stove which means a big one or two then fill all of the spaces with small stuff.

Ok. You jam it. I get it.

I know he puts some REALLY big logs in there. I know because when I was running the splitter he yelled at me to leave them giants alone for overnighters. Maybe he jams sticks in the holes too. Probably.... I have never been there overnight to have witnessed.

My point is he uses the larger LARGER splits.

Reactions: bholler
Ok. You jam it. I get it.

I know he puts some REALLY big logs in there. I know because when I was running the splitter he yelled at me to leave them giants alone for overnighters. Maybe he jams sticks in the holes too. Probably.... I have never been there overnight to have witnessed.

My point is he uses the larger LARGER splits.
To each their own. I dont like doing it that way but that by no means makes it wrong

Would not the drier wood burn faster though?

Would not the drier wood burn faster though?
No because to make it burn at first you will have the air open pretty far then you go to bed and it dries out. Then it takes off and burns fast. Wet wood is no good for anything.

Reactions: Woody Stover
How close can you load it to the baffle? Almost touching?
A bit over the top of the firebricks should be sufficient. It shouldn't hard up against the secondary baffle. I suspect that the wood is not fully seasoned and takes too much air to get going.

A bit over the top of the firebricks should be sufficient. It shouldn't hard up against the secondary baffle. I suspect that the wood is not fully seasoned and takes too much air to get going.

Great, that’s what I did last night and it worked great.

It could be wet wood, but it could be inexperience with the air controls and loading. My first attempts at overnight burns were unimpressive. Last night I finally got a load to go a full 8 hours. Had a very nice bed of coals when I woke up.

For a tube stove, a good bed of coals is best case for the morning re load. I know I never have live flames in the morning, but always a good coal bed, from 10pm to 7am, roughly.

Oh, got it. Stove top temp will be around 400F. There is a big bed of large coals at the 8h mark.