Jotul Proflame 2 Remote issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Flambo

May 30, 2017
El Granada, California
We have a Jotul GF 370 DVII with a proflame 2 remote. It has worked wonderfully for the last 5 months. The low battery icon lit up on the remote and so I changed the batteries. After changing the batteries the thermostat function is gone. It is as though the thermostat function button doesn't work anymore. Upon powerup, the remote immediately resorts to the flame mode and it defaults to Hi. I can operate the flame, fan and light from the remote. The thermostat button doesn't do anything. Please help.

Did you change ALL the batteries? There are 4 AAA in the receiver under the unit as well as the 3 AA in the handheld transmitter...

Yes. But there were no beeps when i put the paper clip into the hole on the battery pack.

Hey Flambo, try this I found on the online manual for this unit on page 24

Initializing the System
1. Press the Controls Access Door to release the magnetic
catch and swing the panel down.
Switch the Burner to OFF.
2. Install three AAA batteries into the Transmitter.
3. Press the black (or red) button on the left front corner
of the IFC board, next to the controls switch plate.
The board will “beep” three times and a yellow LED
indicates a 10-second synchronization time limit.
4. Within the 10-second time frame, push the ON button
on the Transmitter. The IFC will “beep” four times to
indicate that it has acknowledged the transmitter
command and sets to the particular code of that
Transmitter.
5. After initialization, the burner switch must be placed
in the ON position and Pilot Mode switch placed in CPI.
The remote can then be used to control the burner.

P.S. you can find a link to the manual here - http://jotul.com/ca/products/gas-stoves/_attachment/50109?_download=true&_ts=15b1f6b2c36

I hope this helps,

Cheers,
Taargon

Last edited:
This happens more often then you would think. The fix is simple though. Flip the remote over and remove one battery. Then press and hold the themostat button while replacing that one battery. You should hear a couple beeps and that will let you know it's fixed. That thermostat button is in the perfect place and no one realizes they are holding it when they replace the batteries. Hope that helps.

This happens more often then you would think. The fix is simple though. Flip the remote over and remove one battery. Then press and hold the themostat button while replacing that one battery. You should hear a couple beeps and that will let you know it's fixed. That thermostat button is in the perfect place and no one realizes they are holding it when they replace the batteries. Hope that helps.
That did it!! Thanks loads!!

Reactions: jotulguy and DAKSY
Jotulguy- this happens a lot. Glad someone posted this, we were pulling our hair out here, had it happen to mendotas and Jotuls in the past. The dreaded changing batteries, grabbing the wrong button and no tstat!

Reactions: k0wtz and jotulguy

Please help! Same issue as OP here (on a Mendota) but your fix doesn't work. I never get the beeps. When I do it, it says either set or clr but neither option fixes it. Thank you!!

You have to be sure to only be holding the thermostat button when you do this. If you happen to also be holding the power button you will get the screen you are referencing.

Reactions: Dave1
You have to be sure to only be holding the thermostat button when you do this. If you happen to also be holding the power button you will get the screen you are referencing.

Wow; you're quick. So as you were typing, I tried putting it to Set then went to the main unit and pressed the syn button. This worked, and themostat is now working. Only problem is that I tried turning the fan up on the remote now and that doesn't work (the remote displays as if it worked but it's not doing anything). Not sure if it's another quirk or if the fan died. We don't use it much because it's obnoxiously loud for some reason but would rather it worked. Thanks again!

Wow; you're quick. So as you were typing, I tried putting it to Set then went to the main unit and pressed the syn button. This worked, and themostat is now working. Only problem is that I tried turning the fan up on the remote now and that doesn't work (the remote displays as if it worked but it's not doing anything). Not sure if it's another quirk or if the fan died. We don't use it much because it's obnoxiously loud for some reason but would rather it worked. Thanks again!
Check your light. If that is not work either odds are you do not have 110power.

Correct you are; someone dimmed the dimmer switch. You've been amazingly helpful. As long as I have your attention perhaps you'll help with another couple questions:

1) Every year it stinks for many hours when I start using the fireplace. Eventually it stops smelling on low but I can never really use it on high. It was installed three years ago in a new house, supposedly with heat resistant material around it. Any thoughts?

2) I installed the dimmer switch because I'm sabbath observant and wanted to be able to shut it off automatically using a timer but was told doing it that way is not a good idea. Do you agree? (I don't recall because it's been a few years since installed but don't think it can be turned on with a timer?)

Thanks again for sharing your kowledge!

On the chance you didn't want to follow-up with my new questions, I just wanted to thank you again for your previous help! Much appreciated!

Correct you are; someone dimmed the dimmer switch. You've been amazingly helpful. As long as I have your attention perhaps you'll help with another couple questions:

1) Every year it stinks for many hours when I start using the fireplace. Eventually it stops smelling on low but I can never really use it on high. It was installed three years ago in a new house, supposedly with heat resistant material around it. Any thoughts?

2) I installed the dimmer switch because I'm sabbath observant and wanted to be able to shut it off automatically using a timer but was told doing it that way is not a good idea. Do you agree? (I don't recall because it's been a few years since installed but don't think it can be turned on with a timer?)

Thanks again for sharing your kowledge!
The smell is likely dust accumulating on the firebox. The smells should disappear after a few hours of burning it on high. If they do not go away then I would recommend the local dealer come out for a service call. As far as a dimmer switch goes, I have no experience on that front. But I would say this ignition system does not like limited voltage. I would not recommend using one.

The smell doesn't go away. They were here and had nothing helpful to say. Then again, they told me to get a new remote when I told them about my remote problem! Thanks again for your help!

Thank you for the help! I have a 4-year-old Jotul GF500 LP gas direct vent stove that I've been very happy with until having problems w/the "Smart" thermostat setting intermittently not working this past late winter/early spring. I figured I'd better give things a try, seeing as how the new heating season isn't far off, so I tried to get things going this AM.

I found there was not even a thermostat icon on my remote when I went to use it! Luckily I followed the instructions here to pull one battery, hold the thermostat button, and replace the battery. That got my icon back.

Then I set it up to run "Smart", and it turned on and off as it should. However, I noticed that now the "on" and "off" thermostat functions are opposite of what the remote says! If I turn it to "on", it will shut off. If I turn it to "off", it turns on. I can live with this, not the end of the world, but wonder if anyone has experience w/this?

Also would welcome any ideas about intermittent failure of "Smart" function. It does not seem to be related to new/old battery issues, as the battery icon was not displayed during any of the failures. It has failed at both the upper and lower limit, failing to turn ON as well as failing to turn OFF. This stove is the only heat for my home (not a cabin or vacation home but a 24/7 regular old house!), and thus it is a big deal if the thermostat doesn't work. Again, this is an intermittent issue, not a consistent thing.

My stove plugs into the wall, and thus I don't think the advice about batteries in the receiving unit would apply, would it? Hard to believe that if they were there, that they would have lasted 4 years when the remote has required replacement numerous times over that time period.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dear jotulguy ....your suggestion just helped me ....I contacted my retail dealer and am still waiting for the email they promised to send me to explain troubleshooting my remote...in the meantime I looked up the issue...luckily came to this site and scrolled down to your succinct answer....it worked ! Thank you so much ! I’m now a member if I need help again !

Reactions: jotulguy
Thanks so much for the thermostat solution. It worked great! Can you tell me where the batteries are on the receiver? I've changed the remote's;) now and reactivated the thermostat.

I have a Proflame 2 remote that is giving a "bad" temperature reading. It currently says it is 16 degrees in my lower level. Is there a way to calibrate the temperature that is being read by the remote? Thanks!

Thank you! I was going nuts that I couldn't get the thermostat button to work after changing the batteries. We just leave it set and turn it on in the morning and let it do it's thing automatically on smart, I was thinking I'd have to contact my dealer... Google is great, I found this fix. Thanks again.

Adding question: Batteries don't last long at all, any recommendations?

I have a Proflame 2 remote that is giving a "bad" temperature reading. It currently says it is 16 degrees in my lower level. Is there a way to calibrate the temperature that is being read by the remote? Thanks!
Did you ever get an answer to this question? I have the exact problem.