Jotul Oslo or Quadrafire Cumberland Gap - any advice??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

olalindsey

Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2009
Bozeman, MT
Hello,
We are trying to decide between the Jotul Oslo or the Quardrafire Cumberland Gap wood stove for our house. We live in Bozeman, MT (where winter has already set in) and are hoping that the stove will be our primary heat source for an 1800 square foot home. They seem to be very similar in specs and price. The main difference I have noticed is the Cumberland has a steel fire box and cast iron shell whereas the Oslo is all cast iron. Does anyone have any experience with either of these stoves that may sway us in one direction or the other? Or do you have any other additional information that may help us make up our minds.
Thanks!!

No experience with the Quadrafire, although a number of folks have them.

I have the Oslo and love it . . . the only thing that might . . . just might . . . make me part with it would be a soapstone stove . . . but even then I don't know.

Do a search on these makes and models . . . there is a stove ratings section from actual users.

I think the only "negative" I have come up with for my Oslo is that there is some ash that dumps out when you use the front door . . . otherwise, plenty of heat, good looks, reliable, decent ash pan and the side door is a nice feature.

No experience w the Quad, but I love my Oslo more than any other stove I've used. She's a beast and easy on the eyes. Spoke to many people who had one first and didnt hear one bad thing, so it was an easy choice. Good luck w your decision.

I've burned them both in my showrooms and I would have to say the Oslo is one of the best burning stoves I've ever used. Nice sturdy handles, great side door, and burned longer for me than the Cumberland Gap

Just got the Oslo in late Sep. and love it. Can't directly compare it to the cumberland, but I did look into that stove also, before purchasing the Oslo. My old stove was a little Federal, just too small for our home of 1500 ft. I would recommend, if you buy the Oslo, to get it in enamel finish. Flat black would heat just as well though. Good luck and stay warm in big sky country.

If your stove location will not allow side door loading, think twice before buying the Oslo. Love mine. Be safe.
Ed

I have the Cumberland Gap going on 5 years and for our first stove we love it. The wife is into it and has no problem loading and keeping it going. Have the maghony finish and it looks great. The side door loading is a plus. We do get overnight burns of 8 hours. The bricks inside do wear rather quickly and several have cracked and I had to patch them up. No complaints otherwise.

Can't speak for the Jotul Oslo but it seems it may be pretty popular on this site.

Just installed a Cumberland Gap last weekend.I looked at the Oslo and others but found a deal I could not pass up.Have'nt put alot of wood in the stove yet but happy so far.If the Oslo burns longer than the Gap it must be one mean stove.This thing sips my two year old Hickery. ;-)

Thank you for all of the replies - this is a great forum. I think we are going to go with the Jotul Oslo.
We are looking forward to warm fires this winter and a new baby too!
-Lindsey

I was in a similar position. I went with the oslo also. It gets installed Nov 9th. Can't wait. We just brought home a set of twins. Good luck to you and your family. Congrats!

Congrats on both.I'm sure I would have loved the oslo if not for the price differance.I don't think you would go wrong either way.Happy burning. :)

Best wishes with the new babe and the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.