Jotul insert Glass blackening - tips? suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flightsport

Jan 16, 2012
United States
We have recently installed a Jotul 450 kennebec insert. The stove works great but the glass blackens very quickly. I realize that the hotter the fire the less the glass will build up with soot, creosote, etc. I guess if you want to do a longer, slower burn, this is an unfortunate byproduct. So, I am resolved to occasionally cleaning it so we can watch the fire. I have tried the technique of wadding up newspaper and dipping it into vinegar and then ash, but this didn't seem to work on the very stubborn solids that are on the glass. It just seemed to shred the newspaper after a few scrubs. I have also ordered the Rutland Glass Cleaner, so we will see how that works.

Any tips are much appreciated.

Mike, Plymouth, MA

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Jotul insert Glass blackening - tips? suggestions?
    Jotul-C450-Kennebec-Wood-Fireplace-Insert.webp
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,442
Hm. First-nice looking insert! Second...I am NO expert and this is our first year burning. But...even with marginal wood and running our Lopi only about 1/4 or 1/8 open, our glass stays mostly clean (except when the handle starts to get loose again and it lets a bit of air sneak in on that corner). I haven't cleaned it in about a month and there's only a slight haze. So I'll ask the two things that came to mind for me...do you allow it to get up to temp (ours likes to be about 600 or so) before beginning to damp down? How is your wood supply-dry and well seasoned?

As noted, this means the stove needs to run hotter. Is the wood fully seasoned? That will keep the fire cooler. If it is, try running an occasional fire with just a couple splits on the dying coals with the air open more.

Hi, and thanks for the reply! The Jotul unfortunately does not come with a thermometer, so I wait til its going pretty good before stopping down the air. I wait at least til the automatic fan kicks on. I suspect it may be the wood. I bought two cords of "well seasoned" wood. The problem I see is my wood is filthy! Maybe the guy thought that seasoning wood meant burying it underground, who knows. Im constantly knocking dirt and debris off the logs before bringing them into the house. Lesson learned, wont order from this provider again.

Welcome Flightsport...

Dirty wood? Well, that could be innocent enough, if it is not dirty on the split faces, just the bark side. But, if it is dirty on all sides, it means it was stored in direct contact with the ground after splitting, which means it would not have had conditions conducive to proper seasoning. My advice is to get some wood that you know is dry and see how it operates then. As for a thermo: Get you one, and a hand-held moisture meter if you can swing it. For serious woodburners, those two instruments are crucial.

Outside of home-inspecting, I've never heard of a moisture meter. Is the idea to use it when you're shopping for wood? I just shopped by price, found a good price and ordered over the phone. Rookie mistake. Do they make a therm designed for an insert? Thanks!

In my first month of of burning with the Jotul (last season) I had the same issue. I am by no means an expert, but with time it got much better. I suspect that you may be closing the air down too quickly. I usually let mine get up to the 450-600 range before I have the air to 1/8-1/4 open. I just keep closing in 1/4 increments. I still get a bit of brown discoloration on the left side and about 1/4 inch wide on the bottom of the glass no matter how hot I run it. I think its a Jotul thing.
As far as cleaning the glass, I just dip a damp paper towel in the ash and rub it on the glass (glass must be cool). Then wipe with another damp paper towel and then a dry one. Takes about 2 minutes and works every time.

Seems to me theres a saying somewhere around this forum that goes something like this: Dirty glass equals a dirty chimney.

There is a learning curve to these things and I'm still in the curve. You'll get it. Good luck!

P.S. There is a Jotul Rockland 550 thread on here if you do a search. I realize that you have the 450, but I am sure much of the info will be handy. The only problem is, the thread is incredibly long. Must be in the 15-20 page range, but if you have the time, it is worth checking out.

Fire Honor: Thanks! I plan on letting it get much hotter. I was also thinking it maybe part of the "break-in" as well. Ill let you know how it goes. Mike

Flightsport said:
Hi, and thanks for the reply! The Jotul unfortunately does not come with a thermometer, so I wait til its going pretty good before stopping down the air.

The Lopi didn't come with the thermometer, we had to buy one. I think we do a better job with the stove now that we have it, rather than trying to gauge by the flame looks, which is what we did originally. I probably wouldn't have even thought about one unless I came here.

Whats the best after-market thermometer for an insert? As I have access to the top of the stove, seems like it might be tough to get an accurate read from the front. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.