Jotul Firelight 12 FLIR Thermal images

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Someone had posted some FLIR images of another stove a week or two back, and I thought it was a good idea. Specifically, I was interested in what is the ideal location for mounting my stove-top thermometer, as my manual makes no mention of one, and I have a top-load door to contend with.

In any case, here they are. I attached a K-type thermocouple to the stove top in the same location as the magnetic stove-top thermometer, and confirmed it is indeed accurate. I then tried to adjust the emissivity setting on the FLIR to get the same max temperature reading at the thermometer location, which is why you see me fine-tuning the emissivity values as the stove temp ramps up.

Just a moment after lighting up:

[Hearth.com] Jotul Firelight 12 FLIR Thermal images [Hearth.com] Jotul Firelight 12 FLIR Thermal images

[Hearth.com] Jotul Firelight 12 FLIR Thermal images

Ten minutes into burn:

Thirty minutes into burn, interrupted by a 3-year old's pooping emergency (didn't get to add small/medium splits at normal time):

[Hearth.com] Jotul Firelight 12 FLIR Thermal images [Hearth.com] Jotul Firelight 12 FLIR Thermal images

45 minutes into burn:

Engaged cat at 45 minutes into burn (stove top at 500F, cat immediately lit off and went to 800F).

10 minutes after engaging cat (55 minutes into burn):

(to be continued...)

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
70 minutes into burn:

110 minutes into burn:

Fire load was only two small and one medium split, aimed at getting the stove heated up fast from a cold start. After this, a larger load was put in the stove, but no photos taken (I was out in the garage assembling a snowblower).

Hope this helps someone. For me, I can see my stove-top thermometer seems to be in a good spot for finding max temp. Now if my owner's manual only had some info on how hot the stove could be run...

Status
Not open for further replies.