Jotul fire brick color question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
Got another stupid question for yaall. One thing I've noticed on this stove is that the 4 firebrick in the back of the stove will turn coal black during the flame time of a burn cycle and then as soon as the wood gets to the carbon/coal stage the bricks slowly turn back to lookin like new again. Is this a normall thing? I have never had a stove that have had brick in em so I aint sure. The rest of the innards look like I threw a bag of flour in there after a cycle so it aint creosote I'm thinkin. 1 things fer sure tho. I musta loaded the thing good last night B4 bed cuz we had to run to the sawbones this morning and when we got home at noon I went to relight the stove and had to work really quick. 2 pieces of newspaper and a handfull of kindlin and I almost got my sleeve burnt off just gettin that into the thing.

Mine does it, I think it is the wood out gassing, I have had flames on the black stuff also, makes it look like the fire brick is on fire.

oldspark said:
Mine does it, I think it is the wood out gassing, I have had flames on the black stuff also, makes it look like the fire brick is on fire.

Thanxs. Was just wunderin.
Sounds like the folks in southern Iowa are in for some nasty precip huh? They can keep it down there. It's thier turn.

Very normal . . .

firefighterjake said:
Very normal . . .

I agree.

FYI -
The black stuff (creosote, soot, etc) form early when the firebox is cooler which is also the cooler
part of the burn cycle - vaporizing water out of wood, etc.
The hotter phase of the fire is burning the charcoal which vaporizes the black stuff.
The 'flour' is ash which is the 1% nonburnable residual of wood combustion.

Aye,
Marty

yep that sounds normal. its if they stay black then your not burning hot enough. sounds like you have a good handle on that stove now. i must be doing something right this year. my bricks and glass door are staying clean. must be the cherry wood i cut last year. nice and dry and burnin good. first year i have actually been ahead of wood cutting. allready got a stack going for next year.

perry in mi said:
yep that sounds normal. its if they stay black then your not burning hot enough. sounds like you have a good handle on that stove now. i must be doing something right this year. my bricks and glass door are staying clean. must be the cherry wood i cut last year. nice and dry and burnin good. first year i have actually been ahead of wood cutting. allready got a stack going for next year.
Hey Perry, to bad we wasnt closer. we could play with old tractors and cut some far wood and drink some brews. Dont get no bettern than that do it?
As fer havin a good handle on this stove I keep missin it. I always forget that old Black Sabbath is super hot and grab ahold of the door instead of the nice handle thet Jotul provided for me. I got first degree burns all over my arms and fingers. But my hooch is warmer than I ever couldve dreamed it to be.
See ya on the cinderblock Perry.

perry in mi said:

OMG.

Aye,
Marty

I'm with Marty,it burns right off on the next fire.Fire not hot enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.