jotul f600 sidedoor handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CTwood

Dec 7, 2019
Connecticut
First time posting on here but I am having trouble with finding any info on the jotul f600 sidedoor handle. My problem is that it now sticks. Seems the hotter the stove the worst it gets to the point that I can not even open it. I have unscrewed the blot inside and cleaned and reinstalled but that is not the problem. I have heard there is some kind of pin or spring inside? I have not been able to figure out how to fix this issue. please if anyone can point me in the right direction with where to look to fix it or even better a video on yourtube or something like that it will make my life easier. Thanks

Here's a pic of the handle assembly. Maybe it'll help...

On the f500, I had the same sticking problem. Over time the shaft would get dry, with ash etc getting inside. I drove out the pin on the right with a punch, removed the handle spring and washer, and the shaft pushed in through the door and was removable. Sand the pin and door lightly with emery cloth, add powdered graphite, reassemble. Very easy again to use. The attached also looks like it has a nut on the left. Looks like that may accomplish the same thing.

Attachments

• jotul f600 sidedoor handle
    Screenshot_20191207-133535~3.png
    555.9 KB · Views: 241
On the f500, I had the same sticking problem. Over time the shaft would get dry, with ash etc getting inside. I drove out the pin on the right with a punch, removed the handle spring and washer, and the shaft pushed in through the door and was removable. Sand the pin and door lightly with emery cloth, add powdered graphite, reassemble. Very easy again to use. The attached also looks like it has a nut on the left. Looks like that may accomplish the same thing.
Yes, I have used high temperature graphite and on the F600 I have removed the handle assembly with the nut you indicated on the left. It requires a 17mm wrench.

I have found that once there is friction between the handle shaft and the door, the nut will start to come loose and make the problem worse since it will cause the shaft to sit crooked. Any rust or buildup compounds the problem. I keep a 17mm wrench in the room with the stove and just make sure it is tight every so often in addition to routine maintenance.