Jotul f55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Royalston

Sep 14, 2019
Looking at a used jotul f55 with a blower for $1500 2 years old any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks

My house is 1800 sq ft built 1940 in Massachusetts Cape style

If you pull the trigger on that buy, make sure to post your result. I've been running an F600 for four years now and am thinking about moving to the F55 next year. I like the look of the F600 better but every other year I have a maintenance regime for it that costs me about $350. I think the welded steel construction of the F55 would eliminate most of my maintenance costs.

If you pull the trigger on that buy, make sure to post your result. I've been running an F600 for four years now and am thinking about moving to the F55 next year. I like the look of the F600 better but every other year I have a maintenance regime for it that costs me about $350. I think the welded steel construction of the F55 would eliminate most of my maintenance costs.

I'm curious as to what you are having to do every other year. I thought the F600 was a very robust woodstove.

To the OP:

Inspect the stove very carefully for signs of over firing and abuse.

You're literally playing with fire and sellers have been known to detail equipment they are selling to make it look better. Better to find the hidden damage now than when the stove is burning at 700F and theres 60lbs of fuel in it.

Why is maintenance for your stove so high?

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
By the end of every other season I notice that my burn times are somewhat shorter and that my reloads are taking off faster. So during the summer I buy all new gaskets, door glass, and ceramic insulation blanket for above the baffle and and clean the entire stove and install all my new parts. During this process, I also use refractory cement to seal both bottom rear corners. I've noticed that while cleaning, some ultra fine ash will leak out of those corners. Not enough to measure, but just enough to see it if your'e familiar with the stove. I've talked to Jotul about the ash and they claim that that shouldn't happen, that the stove should be airtight at all times. I figure its because the stove is cold and has opened a joint down on the bottom corners. When its hot everything is sealed up and there's no ash. Anyway, the bulk of my maintenance cost is the glass. I don't need to replace it but the fire looks so awesome through new glass!

Have nothing bad to say about the F55. Been a powerhouse for us. We heat 100% with this stove all winter. HVAC gets zero use. Cant recommend it enough. Especially at that price!

By the end of every other season I notice that my burn times are somewhat shorter and that my reloads are taking off faster. So during the summer I buy all new gaskets, door glass, and ceramic insulation blanket for above the baffle and and clean the entire stove and install all my new parts. During this process, I also use refractory cement to seal both bottom rear corners. I've noticed that while cleaning, some ultra fine ash will leak out of those corners. Not enough to measure, but just enough to see it if your'e familiar with the stove. I've talked to Jotul about the ash and they claim that that shouldn't happen, that the stove should be airtight at all times. I figure its because the stove is cold and has opened a joint down on the bottom corners. When its hot everything is sealed up and there's no ash. Anyway, the bulk of my maintenance cost is the glass. I don't need to replace it but the fire looks so awesome through new glass!
I also heat exclusively with an F600 and have almost zero maintenance concerns.

Those cemented joints are usually very strong and I rarely hear about folks having to ever re-cement or break those stoves down. How old is your stove? If this was a new stove, and has been happening routinely, it sounds to me like you need to let the dealer know. Could be a defective unit.

When its hot everything is sealed up and there's no ash. Anyway, the bulk of my maintenance cost is the glass. I don't need to replace it but the fire looks so awesome through new glass!
This is definitely excessive and it sounds like unnecessary maintenance. The gaskets usually are good for at least 5 yrs. If you get an F55 you will have the same costs if replacing the glass annually. How are you cleaning the glass? After a year is your stove glass excessively fogged? It shouldn't be. When I sold our Castine after 2 seasons the glass still cleaned up very clear.

A couple things to check are ash buildup behind the ashpan. If too much builds up there it can prevent the ashpan door from closing tightly. And when the stove is really clean, wipe down the grate area with a damp rag and look for any cracking in the stove base surrounding the grate.

Last edited:
Looking at a used jotul f55 with a blower for $1500 2 years old any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks

My house is 1800 sq ft built 1940 in Massachusetts Cape style
I would also price a new F55. Call around to several dealers. These stoves are being discontinued after this season so some dealers and distributors are going to be selling the new F55s at deep discounts. Why not buy a brand new one with a full factory warranty? Just a thought.

Reactions: Royalston
I would also price a new F55. Call around to several dealers. These stoves are being discontinued after this season so some dealers and distributors are going to be selling the new F55s at deep discounts. Why not buy a brand new one with a full factory warranty? Just a thought.

Thank you for that information I will look into that

I don’t want to hijack the OP’s thread. There’s more happening here. I’ll post anew tomorrow

Reactions: SpaceBus
This is definitely excessive and it sounds like unnecessary maintenance. The gaskets usually are good for at least 5 yrs. If you get an F55 you will have the same costs if replacing the glass annually. How are you cleaning the glass? After a year is your stove glass excessively fogged? It shouldn't be. When I sold our Castine after 2 seasons the glass still cleaned up very clear.

A couple things to check are ash buildup behind the ashpan. If too much builds up there it can prevent the ashpan door from closing tightly. And when the stove is really clean, wipe down the grate area with a damp rag and look for any cracking in the stove base surrounding the grate.

Agreed . . . I suspect most any stove should have gaskets that would last longer than a single year, not to mention a quality stove like Jotul. I think I went eight or nine years before I had to change out one or two gaskets. The baffle blanket also doesn't need to be changed annually. Sounds like a lot of extra and unnecessary work.

Glass doesn't need to be replaced either . . . even with hazing it is possible to clean it up in some cases.

The ash dropping out of the corners would be a bit concerning though . . . I cannot honestly recall anyone having this problem. Could be a defect perhaps?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have to ask if anyone knows why the F55 is to be discontinued? I almost bought one - they appear to be great stoves!
Thanks for any info.
Tim(fromOhio)

I kind of doubt it or at least I certainly hope not. It's well made and the castiron-clad stove line is quite popular. Stay tuned to see whether it is updated to a v2 or replaced with a new model.

Thanks begreen. I thought it was a great stove and folks here had good experiences - was surprised to see someone here mention it was being discontinued.

Thanks begreen. I thought it was a great stove and folks here had good experiences - was surprised to see someone here mention it was being discontinued.
What I meant by that is the current version will be discontinued. I don’t know if they will put a cat in a new version or try a different baffle design like Pacific Energy. The stove you see today does not meet EPA2020. Make some calls and find out for yourself. This is what I have been told by dealers in my area. I hope they keep the f55 but I honestly do not know. Be sure to thank the folks at the EPA for this.

What I meant by that is the current version will be discontinued. I don’t know if they will put a cat in a new version or try a different baffle design like Pacific Energy. The stove you see today does not meet EPA2020. Make some calls and find out for yourself. This is what I have been told by dealers in my area. I hope they keep the f55 but I honestly do not know. Be sure to thank the folks at the EPA for this.
The new EPA approved stoves get even more heat out of the wood than the stoves previously available. How is that a bad thing?

I am not going to hijack the OPs thread and get into that topic. The F55 is a great stove and I hope it stays in production.