Jotul F500 Oslo -- " Mystery" set screw on ash pan door hinge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckthorn

Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2010
South Central WI
We've had our Oslo for 8 years, and love it. We've had had very few problems. But last week, my wife found that a set screw had fallen from the ash pan door hinge. I hadn't even known about it. Now I'm trying to reinstall it (it takes a small torx wrench), and there just seems something odd about it. It seems to go in only part-way, and at that point it still sticks out enough so that it acts as a door-stopper and prevents the (ash pan) door from opening all the way. It also seems to raise the door too high for it to close. Right now, the ash pan door is lower on the latch (left) side, and we have to lift it a bit to get it to close properly. What is this screw actually for? How far should I be able to screw it in? Is it supposed to control the door height?

I just looked at my stove and it doesn't look like it has one. Just a stainless pin that can be accessed after removing the ash lip.

Where is it located on the hinge?

Its the set screw for the door. It mounts to the top side of the hinge. That will correct the door from hanging lower then it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.