Jotul F500 chimney cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RSNovi

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 12, 2010
Michigan
Hello All,
Please let me know how you would go about cleaning my chimney. I need to got bottom up as the chimney is too high and roof too steep. I have a soot eater.
My old house had a T outside so it was easy. Thanks.
Chris

Attachments

• Jotul F500 chimney cleaning
    4F4B0679-FC43-4C20-856F-CB361A3D69A6.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 125
You will need to remove the top or at least the oval on top. I’m not sure if a sooteater will make the bend though? You may need to remove a lower section of pipe, put a bag over the pipe and then spin it. Hopefully you got a slip in the pipe.

Thanks webby. What do mean by slip in the pipe?

Thanks webby. What do mean by slip in the pipe?

Telescopic pipe. A lower pipe section can be lifted up into the upper section to allow access to the connector pipe and chimney pipe for cleaning from the bottom up. Its often called a slip joint. Works well.

I think there are three sections and all are fixed.

It turns out the top section was telescopic. Ended up being quite easy. Taped a bag to the bottom of the telescoping section and it caught all the junk. Probably about 4 cups worth.

I always struggle with the sooteater connectors getting them apart. Other then that, things went well.

Reactions: EbS-P and webby3650