Jotul F50 cracked top baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

cc rangeley

Jan 7, 2013
My jotul rangeley f50 has a cracked top baffle. Not sure when or how it happened. I discovered it when I opened the top door & saw a hole/crack/warp on the right baffle plate. I run my stove btween 300& 450 degs, tho it mightve gone close to 600 once last winter. My stove dealer contacted jotul & they are sending 2 new baffle plates and a union plate. It'll take 4 weeks to get here. My question is...is it safe to burn? Is there anything I can do while I await the parts' arrival? Thanks

My jotul rangeley f50 has a cracked top baffle. Not sure when or how it happened. I discovered it when I opened the top door & saw a hole/crack/warp on the right baffle plate. I run my stove btween 300& 450 degs, tho it mightve gone close to 600 once last winter. My stove dealer contacted jotul & they are sending 2 new baffle plates and a union plate. It'll take 4 weeks to get here. My question is...is it safe to burn? Is there anything I can do while I await the parts' arrival? Thanks
Can you post a picture?

This is the view with top door open. Looking down onto top of baffle plates...
[Hearth.com] Jotul F50 cracked top baffle

I would slap some furnace cement in that hole and burn it til the new parts arrive. Just don’t use the top loading feature.

Or lay a piece of flat steel over it.

Reactions: Todd
Excellent, thanks for the help. Apologies for the dumb questions...but is there a particular type of steel....and where do I find? From a welder?

Any steel except galvanized. Big box store might have it? Any metal shop. Scrap yard. Neighbor?
But if you have to go search it out, Todd's furnance cement idea may be easier to get.

Got it. I'll start with the furnace cement & seek steel if needed. Thanks again to both of you for your great guidance!

Trending content