Jotul F400 Rear exit questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gman1001

Hearth Supporter
Jan 9, 2006
Sales
Jotul F400 Rear exit questions

Going to look at this f400. For this to work I’ll need rear smoke exit. Hard to tell in this picture but my question is: to switch from top to rear exit do I simply detach the collar shown in the picture and switch the direction?

Or would I have to buy another collar if this stove is setup only for top exit?

Tx!

Also do all F400’s have ash pans?

Last edited by a moderator:
The flue collar just gets rotated 180º. There is a gasket there. Replace if not in good shape. All Castines that I have seen have an ashpan. When checking the stove out look carefully for external and internal cracks, especially in the base around the grate. Ask the seller if they have the F400's rear heat shield. Without it rear clearances go up.

Those two bolts you see on each side of the collar are what you need to take off. I think it is a 10 or 11 mm I can’t remember. There is a nut inside, and once they’re off just flip it and retorque. I personally would change the gasket while it’s off. Also a good opportunity to remove the top and clean out that, and replace those gaskets as well.

They are great stoves, I’m sure you have read on here but bring a good flash light with you when you go to look at it. Check for cracks etc.

I got a used one and went through everything on it and it’s awesome. Feel free to post more pics of the stove if you have them to get some feedback before you look at it

Those two bolts you see on each side of the collar are what you need to take off. I think it is a 10 or 11 mm I can’t remember. There is a nut inside, and once they’re off just flip it and retorque. I personally would change the gasket while it’s off. Also a good opportunity to remove the top and clean out that, and replace those gaskets as well.

They are great stoves, I’m sure you have read on here but bring a good flash light with you when you go to look at it. Check for cracks etc.

I got a used one and went through everything on it and it’s awesome. Feel free to post more pics of the stove if you have them to get some feedback before you look at it

Update - the stove is near new. The surface rust shown looks way worse than in person and I scored it for $200! Now to move it.

I'm hoping this F400 comes apart as easy as my Jot. 3. I'm hoping big pieces can be removed just to make the whole package lighter. What do you all think?

Thanks!!!!

Update - the stove is near new. The surface rust shown looks way worse than in person and I scored it for $200! Now to move it.

I'm hoping this F400 comes apart as easy as my Jot. 3. I'm hoping big pieces can be removed just to make the whole package lighter. What do you all think?

Thanks!!!!
Congratulations. With a fresh coat of paint (stove brite metallic black) the stove will look like new.

I'd leave the stove reasonably intact. Cut a sheet of plywood to be a little larger than the overall footprint of the F400 and move the stove onto this. Then slide the lip of an appliance dolly under the plywood and flush with the back of the stove. Cover the stove with a blanket to protect. Take one or two ratchet straps and snuggly strap the stove to the appliance dolly. Now the dolly and the stove will act as one. You can tip it back on its wheels and move it pretty easily. Use a good quality appliance dolly with pneumatic tires for easiest moving. This is how I moved out our F400 and then moved the much heavier T6 in place. I had a couple helpers to negotiate steps. The whole swap took about 1/2 hour.

great tips on moving... definitly need to make the stove lighter though so I can get it up into my pickup truck. As is, even on a dolly I wont be able to lift it at all.

I just dropped the pickup tailgate, laid a couple 2x10s down on the gate and rolled it up with my two helpers.

Wow. $200.00 is a steal. I bought my F 400 used for $650.00. I'm learning how to operate it thanks to this website. Heats well so far but i have not had it really cranking for fear of an over fire situation.

Wow. $200.00 is a steal. I bought my F 400 used for $650.00. I'm learning how to operate it thanks to this website. Heats well so far but i have not had it really cranking for fear of an over fire situation.
With good draft the F400 is a willing heater. You can take it up to 700F every day and not worry.

That's good to know. I have had it a little past 600 before and it made me nervous. New experience burning wood in an epa stove. The nerves will pass in time I guess.

Ok, got it home in great shape!

Question, how do you get the damn top off!!! I’ve been able to remove all parts I can from the front including the secondary burn plate. However, I’m pretty sure the top burn plate can only be removed from the top. BUT, either his burn plate in place I cannot see any bolts which will allow me to remove the top.

Anyone???

Been a while, but I think its just two 10MM bolts taken out from inside, one on each side. Never took many Castine tops off, Oslos and Firelights to repair sec burn chamber, but Castine you did from inside, as you know. I do believe tho just two bolts one on each side. middle of the plate on each side. Reducing weight on a Castine usually is just the ashpan and front door. It goes from 375 down to about 340. Uggghhh. Good luck with her, 200 dollars is a really good buy.

I would leave the top on while moving to help structural integrity. My concern would be that with ratchet strapping and bumping that the side edge joint cement might loosen. I'm a geezer and moved our stove out of the house and on the truck with the top on.