Jotul F400 Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FireRod

Aug 22, 2014
Blackwood, NJ
Hi y'all doing everybody! hope everybody is warm. I have a Jotul 3CB which I'm replacing with a used Jotul F400. I've been looking for a larger stove due to the burn time and when the temps drop below 28° my little stove has a hard time keeping me warm. I have found a used F400 which I hope to PU this weekend. Other than cracks and warping, is there anything else I should be looking for? I also came across a thread someone posted on a rebuild for the F400 on another forum. The stove I'm considering is 14-15 years old. I'm not sure how much use it got but from the pics but it looks like it is pretty good condition. In the post for the rebuild there were a lot more gaskets than for the door, ash pan and rear flue attachment than I thought there would be. Considering this stove may be in very good shape just being used as needed and not as a main heat source, how often if ever do the other gaskets need replacement?

Hi y'all doing everybody! hope everybody is warm. I have a Jotul 3CB which I'm replacing with a used Jotul F400. I've been looking for a larger stove due to the burn time and when the temps drop below 28° my little stove has a hard time keeping me warm. I have found a used F400 which I hope to PU this weekend. Other than cracks and warping, is there anything else I should be looking for? I also came across a thread someone posted on a rebuild for the F400 on another forum. The stove I'm considering is 14-15 years old. I'm not sure how much use it got but from the pics but it looks like it is pretty good condition. In the post for the rebuild there were a lot more gaskets than for the door, ash pan and rear flue attachment than I thought there would be. Considering this stove may be in very good shape just being used as needed and not as a main heat source, how often if ever do the other gaskets need replacement?
Hi FireRod,
I just replaced my door gaskets on my 17 year old Castine. I'm not sure if I really needed to because it still passed the $ bill tug test but what the heck not having to do anything for 17 years I felt I might as well try door gaskets. Easy to do. I'm about 1 hour north of you, your gonna like the f400. best of luck.

Reactions: FireRod