Jotul F400 castine & flue damper ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamysr

Jan 20, 2020
ca
Hey Guys I'm a noob on the forum and in general to wood stoves. A little background is I had new EPA jotul f400 castine installed in my house (free standing) last winter and I have a 15' stack. I burn almond wood and the stove in our primary source of heat but its doesn't get that cold where i live, typically in the low 30's or high 20s on occasion in the ealy AM.

From research on here the F400 doesn't seem to have a long burn time and in general 6 hours seems to be common burn time over night. My question is would a flue damper help to have a longer slower over night burn ? Any input would be appreciated.

At 15’ and not-too-cold temps, you’re probably in the sweet spot for draft already and a damper may reduce it too much possibly leading to stall outs.

That said, there are lots of factors at play and you could always try one. No major downside and with unregulated secondary air it is always nice to have a bit more control.

Already asked and answered in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.