Jotul F3CB air control lever question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
My F3CB primary air control lever works like this:

"Open/full air" = lever all the way to the right

"closed/minimum air" = lever all the way to the left

but mine only slides about 3/4 of the way to the left. There seems to be a stop of some sort that won't let it proceed the remaining distance in the slot it slides in. It does go all the way to right for open air. Just curious if everybody else's is like.

My stove is the Oslo but I think the air controls are the same:

Sounds like you have a small 'burr' inside the air control box (called a dog house). Let your stove cool off, brush away any ash, remove the two screws that hold the dog house in place (this is inside the stove). Slide you lever right/left and see if you can see what is inhibiting a full right/left slide and remove the little burr you will probably find in there.

Before putting it all back together puff a little powered graphic in there and move lever right/left a couple of times to work in the graphic. Re-assemble and you should be good to go.

By the way, if it were me, I'd do this right away as you are not really shutting down the air correctly every time you burn.

Shari

our air control levers are built differently between the Oslo and the F3CB. Yours is at the bottom, mine at the top.

Yes, they are quite different in design. The F3CB air control is a simple plate at the top of the stove where the handle is a cast part of the vertical slider plate. The bigger Jotuls have a smoother operation that uses a lever that moves the horiz slider plate.

It's been too long since we've had our F3CB for me to remember the left side position. Maybe visit a dealer and take a look?

Yours is just like mine wahoo. Stops short of going all the way to the left. Gotta keep you from shutting it all the way ya know. EPA and all that good stuff.

where is the write up for how to fix this? :)

BB is correct, nothing to fix. Just checked mine too (with flashlight, it's in a darker place)...what i had been thinking was full-closed still shows a small distance left 'unchecked'..

ya that is the way it works when it is all the way to the left u can see the vents opening and closing right above it i all the little slots across the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.