Jotul F3 installation in fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

NWbc Woodburner

Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2010
Northern BC
Here she be after a few weeks of work. Thanks to everyone on here who helped answer my questions. Sure nice to feel that wood heat.

Before:

After:

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Jotul F3 installation in fireplace
    P1020804.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 281
  • [Hearth.com] Jotul F3 installation in fireplace
    SAM_2393.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 325
That looks really, really nice. And now I am hungry for fresh bread. :mad:

Looks really nice.
What size & mfr. of liner did you use??
The first stove we ever bought was the F3CB.
Looking back, it was a great little stove.
Instead, we got greedy & bought a larger (but not better) stove.

Thanks for the compliments. That's some homemade sourdough!

I ran 10 ft of 6" Excel rigid liner connected to 5 ft of 5.5" Z-Flex stainless through the damper area. My chimney's clay tile liner was in pretty good shape so I insulated the top and bottom 2 feet with rock wool. With the door open it pulls smoke from three feet in front of the door with the stove cold, so I'm pretty happy with that. Right now its -20 Celsius out and our upstairs is nice and toasty.

That finished out beautifully, congratulations! How is the stove heating for you?

It's heating pretty good, not as warm as I would like but I think that is in part due to its location within the fireplace cavity. Also don't have the greatest stock of wood right now, just some cedar off-cuts and birch that has sat out in the elements not split for probably a couple years (was here when we bought the house last June). I think good dry birch or alder splits and maybe one of those self-circulating fans (not sure of there exact name) on top of the stove would help to pump out some more BTU's.

Next time it will be a free-standing stove I think (just to get that extra heat) but this is still a heck of alot better than the old fireplace, but not "it's so warm I've got to hang out in my underwear" warm (which would be nice to have once in awhile).

Just on my second fire so still figuring the ins and outs of the stove too.

Well, it is just a tad cold up in your area right now, so this is probably a stiff test for the little guy. With good wood, it can pump out the heat, as long as it is fed frequently.

Don't underestimate the heating power of small stoves.
Our "small" Tribute on many days can keep our entire house at 70 degrees,
even though it is locate in the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.