Jotul F3 chimney location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mrbreeze742

Dec 21, 2018
Maryland
Greetings,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Ive been able to find about everything I need through searches, except this one issue. I have a two story house from the 70's, attached garage off to the side is one story, with one side of ridge line being garage, and the other, back side being living room. In my diagram x lines are two story, - lines are single. I want to install my stove in the corner where the o is.

This gives me two issues. first is will I have drafting issues with the stove being that close to two story structure, and second, will i have issues not being close to the peak of the roof for the garage section? Chimney height will be 15', minimum specified by Jotul and it will meet my clearances required on roof.

Edit: Forum program keeps modifying my diagram when i publish it :/
Basically i want to install stove in the back right corner of single story living room portion, along the two exterior walls where roof will be at its lowest, as opposed to being more centered near peak

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-------------------/
x x o /
x x /
x--------------------------x------------------/
x x \
x x /
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-------------------/

Last edited:
Here are some tips for posting pictures on the site.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/putting-images-into-your-forums-posts.87212/

The chimney needs to follow the 10-3-2 rule which applies to the adjacent 2 story structure as well. And most jurisdictions do not allow a woodstove in a garage. Check with the insurance company and local inspecting authority first.

Thanks for the response. The Chimney plan meets the 10-3-2 rule, and it's in a living space, not garage. I've seen a few houses in my neighborhood with same set up, so I'm thinking it won't be a problem. I'm confident it will be to code, just concerned about drafting issues

The F3CB drafts pretty easily. Ours was on a 12ft chimney and it worked well. My concern would be smoke infiltration to the second story of the house when the winds are right. Can you post some pictures of the proposed stove location and exterior concerns using the posting guidelines provided?