Jotul F100 install/mantle question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Alexander L

Oct 31, 2014
SoCal Desert
Hi all! I am getting ready to install my Jotul F100, and I have some questions regarding a few details and clearances.

First question concerns the hearth pad. I plan to have a local metal guy make a steel hearth plate to the required size as listed in the owners manual/installation instructions. Manual states that "any noncombustible material with use of the bottom heat shield" may be used. The metal hearth plate will sit right on top of the laminate wood floor. The manual seems to be okay with this. Do I have that right?

Next question concerns mantel/trim clearances shown in the instruction manual. My inspector is going to go by what is called for in the manual, so I need a bit of clarification if anybody can help.

My plan is to have the stove on a steel hearth plate on top of the laminate floor.
The stove will sit 11" away from back wall (about where it is in picture)and will vent from behind - out the wall directly behind stove. (wall thimble)

The walls in the cabin are short (about 47"), so my existing wood beam can only be placed so high on that short wall. Manual/instructions call for unprotected surfaces 22" clearance for mantel, and 17" for top trim. My 7" tall by 3.5" thick mantel would only leave 19" of clearance from the top surface of the stove. I can only achieve 22" clearance if I use a shelf style mantel above that wall (just over the durock shown in pic), rather than a mantel fixed on the flat wall as originally planned.

I suppose I am asking... Is any wood mantel that I place on that short wall behind the stove going to need to be 22" ABOVE the stove top if it is over 1" thick?

Any insight/advice is appreciated! Thank you!
Here are some pics of the stove where it will be installed. Also included a pic of the mantle/trim clearance instructions. Jotul F100 install/mantle question Jotul F100 install/mantle question Jotul F100 install/mantle question Jotul F100 install/mantle question

Last edited:
Yes any wood needs to be that 22" above the stove if it projects more than an inch

Reactions: Alexander L
Appreciated, bholler.

Settles that. Shelf style mantel it is.

Anyone think there will be an issue with a metal hearth plate sitting on top of the flooring? Must be fine if manual approves - if used with bottom heat plate installed. Inspector said he would be fine with it, as it is what is acceptable according to the instructions. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious before I have the hearth plate made. Thanks!

New Jotuls that have the bottom heat shield installed are able to be ember only protection- placed on a non combustible material. So yes that's good.

Reactions: Alexander L
Thank you, stovelark.

One more question, after reading some threads on clearances.

The installation calls for 11" clearance from stove rear to unprotected surface. 5" to protected surface.
I plan to do use a ledge stone veneer over that durock behind the stove(durock seen in pics above). The studs in the wall behind the stove are wood. So durock has been screwed directly to wood stud wall.
I have seen a few threads about 1" air flow gaps for protective surfaces behind a stove? I see nothing about this in my manual.

So, if I have this right, because of the installed heat shield on my particular stove (Jotul F100)... I can put this stove as close as 5" to a protected tiled/stone wall, even if there are wood studs directly behind the stone/tile and durock? Those wood studs in the wall would NOT be subject to the 11" unprotected surface clearance because there is a noncombustible layer of protection?

Jotul F100 install/mantle question Jotul F100 install/mantle question