jotul f 118

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Checking and double checking ...
Is there supposed to be another metal plate that sits above the insulation blanket on my top baffle?
I'm switching my stove pipe outlet and the insulation blanket just seems oddly exposed.
This is a new stove for me and I dont
want to make any ridiculous errors
This is a 2006

That is correct. The insulation blanket sits directly on top of the baffle with nothing on top of that until you get to the stove top. Watch how the stove burns carefully. The early models has an issue with the secondary rack. It's easy to bump and throw into misalignment. Be careful when loading and watch for warping or twisting of the secondary rack.

Checking and double checking ...
Is there supposed to be another metal plate that sits above the insulation blanket on my top baffle?
I'm switching my stove pipe outlet and the insulation blanket just seems oddly exposed.
This is a new stove for me and I dont
want to make any ridiculous errors
This is a 2006

The insulation blanket sits directly on top of the top baffle. I know what you mean about it seeming exposed. But that is how the stove was designed. Remember, just smoke will pass over the top of the insulation.

Begreen makes a good point about watching how this unit burns.

And be careful loading the stove. Do not just throw the wood into the firebox. You will damage the secondary burn tubes.

Also, you will notice that ash and coals tend to build up at the back of the firebox. This is normal. BUT, before you reload, rake the coals from the back of the firebox toward the door, spreading them evenly. Then reload the firebox. You can find more information about this at the following link:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/jotul-f118-baffle-question.289485/

That is correct. The insulation blanket sits directly on top of the baffle with nothing on top of that until you get to the stove top. Watch how the stove burns carefully. The early models has an issue with the secondary rack. It's easy to bump and throw into misalignment. Be careful when loading and watch for warping or twisting of the secondary rack.

Thank so much for the confirmation...and additional information on this particular model...i am coming off of 25 years with a VC vigilant and this will be a big change for me...but i am really hopeful that both my burn times and my radiant heat will be greatly improved.
We are definately tightenting up our 'user' rules ....and everyone in the house is being required to read the 'optimal' use instructions before we start using this!

The insulation blanket sits directly on top of the top baffle. I know what you mean about it seeming exposed. But that is how the stove was designed. Remember, just smoke will pass over the top of the insulation.

Begreen makes a good point about watching how this unit burns.

And be careful loading the stove. Do not just throw the wood into the firebox. You will damage the secondary burn tubes.

Also, you will notice that ash and coals tend to build up at the back of the firebox. This is normal. BUT, before you reload, rake the coals from the back of the firebox toward the door, spreading them evenly. Then reload the firebox. You can find more information about this at the following link:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/jotul-f118-baffle-question.289485/

I really appreciate the additional use tips here....and will be sure to share these with my entire household of stove loaders!

I really appreciate the additional use tips here....and will be sure to share these with my entire household of stove loaders!

I own one of these, as you might have noticed in my signature, and got very concerned after seeing posts about problems. As a result, I spent a good amount of time searching the Web and calling my dealer. Apparently, damaging the burn tubes is not limited to this stove. The problem with this stove, in part, is that when Jotul redesigned it to meet emissions requirements, they kept the same overall size as the 118. This resulted in the burn tubes being very low and exposed in the firebox. Had Jotul raised the height of the stove a little overall, they could have then raised the hight of the firebox to accommodate the burn tubes. I am sure that many more experienced persons in the forum have more suggestions for improving the design.

The one thing I do not like in this newer rendition of the 118 compared to the old 118 is the side baffles. In the old 118, the baffles came in sections and rested on cast hooks in the side panels of the stove and therefore were easier to remove, as well as they floated and did not bind on anything as they expanded when heated.

I own one of these, as you might have noticed in my signature, and got very concerned after seeing posts about problems. As a result, I spent a good amount of time searching the Web and calling my dealer. Apparently, damaging the burn tubes is not limited to this stove. The problem with this stove, in part, is that when Jotul redesigned it to meet emissions requirements, they kept the same overall size as the 118. This resulted in the burn tubes being very low and exposed in the firebox. Had Jotul raised the height of the stove a little overall, they could have then raised the hight of the firebox to accommodate the burn tubes. I am sure that many more experienced persons in the forum have more suggestions for improving the design.

The one thing I do not like in this newer rendition of the 118 compared to the old 118 is the side baffles. In the old 118, the baffles came in sections and rested on cast hooks in the side panels of the stove and therefore were easier to remove, as well as they floated and did not bind on anything as they expanded when heated.

Do you feel that with proper diligence in loading the potential for burn tube damage is minimized?

Do you feel that with proper diligence in loading the potential for burn tube damage is minimized?

I do. Though I have also read some reports of the baffles expanding and cracking, which causes issues with the burn tubes. I'm not entirely clear about that. I do know that Jotul redesigned from one piece baffles to two piece. So there is likely a couple things going on here. I believe Jotul attributes a large part of these issues to user error, that is over firing or aggressive loading.

I do. Though I have also read some reports of the baffles expanding and cracking, which causes issues with the burn tubes. I'm not entirely clear about that. I do know that Jotul redesigned from one piece baffles to two piece. So there is likely a couple things going on here. I believe Jotul attributes a large part of these issues to user error, that is over firing or aggressive loading.

well, it's mine now...so let's just hope that with careful use and monitoring of burn as we get used to the 'ins and outs' this turns out to be a good fit for us.

well, it's mine now...so let's just hope that with careful use and monitoring of burn as we get used to the 'ins and outs' this turns out to be a good fit for us.

I wish you the best. It's a great heater. And the overall exterior appearance is very classic. I'm hopeful it will work out for you. Be sure to use a stove top thermometer (calibrated for stove tops) and place it on top of the stove on the hot plate. Watch those temps. Also, remember to follow the directions for seasoning the stove by burning a couple of very small fires. The manual gives directions. Don't be impatient.

I wish you the best. It's a great heater. And the overall exterior appearance is very classic. I'm hopeful it will work out for you. Be sure to use a stove top thermometer (calibrated for stove tops) and place it on top of the stove on the hot plate. Watch those temps. Also, remember to follow the directions for seasoning the stove by burning a couple of very small fires. The manual gives directions. Don't be impatient.

Right o...

'speed kills'

it is our intention to follow the directions exactly! (which is not always our MO)