Jotul f 118 CB Black Bear smoking issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Andydags

Jan 30, 2020
Idaho
Hi,
Posting to see if anyone has had a similar issue with their Jotul Black Bear stove.

When having a fire in the stove, and the front door is opened to tend the fire or add a log, smoke will begin coming out from the air intake holes at the rear bottom of the stove. When the front door is closed, the smoke will stop coming out of those holes.
The stove install is only a couple months old, and the dealer doesnt seem to know much about the Black Bear. The dealer told us it was a drafting issue and we needed a sweep. So we had the pipe swept and the problem didnt change a bit (also it had been happening since day 1).
The stove seems to be drafting fine, as you can leave the door open with a fire going and no smoke will come into the house through the front door, only through the rear holes.
The problem only seems to stop when the fire is burnt down to just coals or if the stove box is very hot.
I think the holes are the air intake for the reburn system. Has anyone else experienced this or know how to remedy it? Thanks for reading!

Reactions: MR. GLO
Your house is probably fairly tight. My Morso 2b Classic does this to me every once in a while when I have a smoldering mess on a cold flue. Try cracking a window or door to see if this alleviates the smoking out the back.