Jotul Brown Majolica Finish

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

jugarf

Hearth Supporter
Nov 11, 2009
Southern NY
Does anyone out there have the Brown Majolica Finish on their Jotul? I would like to hear from someone on how the finish holds up over time. Pics would be great!

I've had mine for 2 years now and so far it has held up well. It is a porcelin finish so if you drop something on it it will chip and I have gotten 2 small chips in my over the two years of ownership but you are going to get that with any porcelin finish on any stove. It's only so durable. When cleaned it is still very shiney and attractive. Pretty much like new. It's a fantastic color. You can DEFINITELY cannot notice the chips unless you are right up against it and know exactly where they are. It hides them really well.

I have the ivory - when (not if) I chip it, it will be more noticeable, even with the provided touch up paint. But I love the look, and I've seen plenty of people here say they wish they had splurged for the enamel as it looks so much better over the cast iron over time.

Enamel can be very nice. It's biggest disadvantage is that it chips if you drop something hard on the finish and it cannot be repaired. (Yes, you can use touch-up paint.) A matte black paint finish is good too, however, it must be polished. People have gotten away from polishing their stoves, so many of them don't look so good after a few years. I am partial to a properly polished matte black stove. It has a classic deep black dull shine that cannot be matched with any enamel.

cycloxer said:
Enamel can be very nice. It's biggest disadvantage is that it chips if you drop something hard on the finish and it cannot be repaired. (Yes, you can use touch-up paint.) A matte black paint finish is good too, however, it must be polished. People have gotten away from polishing their stoves, so many of them don't look so good after a few years. I am partial to a properly polished matte black stove. It has a classic deep black dull shine that cannot be matched with any enamel.
Yep, I can buy that as well.

Jotul does a good job with enameling. If you take care of the stove, it is not going to degrade badly over time. We have an early 80's Jotul with a majolica finish and it still looks great. It's going to be moved to our greenhouse shortly. I will take a picture when it gets in place.

If you spill water frequently on a stove or are careless, then get a plain stove. But to my knowledge, Jotul has not had the problems with enameled finishes that seem to have shown up on some other company's stoves with certain production runs. That doesn't mean the finish and bonding is bulletproof, but it is very good and they've been doing it well for many years.

jugarf said:
Does anyone out there have the Brown Majolica Finish on their Jotul? I would like to hear from someone on how the finish holds up over time. Pics would be great!

I almost bought a Castine in Brown Majolica. I think it looks sharp.

I liked the colored finishes at first, but heard so many good things about the blue-black and its durability that I decided to go with it. Im glad I did, but still think the brown is very nice (a bit shiny though, wish it was a duller finish). Someone mentioned water here: If you happen to be in an area with well water (even after treatment), be careful not to let your stove steamer boil over on a hot stove, as the water will leave a white stain that is pretty much impossible to remove. Let us know what you go with. Here's a bigger pic of the blue-black I put in.. still waiting on some barn wood for the mantel.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Jotul Brown Majolica Finish
    stove.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,023
logger said:
I liked the colored finishes at first, but heard so many good things about the blue-black and its durability that I decided to go with it. Im glad I did, but still think the brown is very nice (a bit shiny though, wish it was a duller finish). Someone mentioned water here: If you happen to be in an area with well water (even after treatment), be careful not to let your stove steamer boil over on a hot stove, as the water will leave a white stain that is pretty much impossible to remove. Let us know what you go with. Here's a bigger pic of the blue-black I put in.. still waiting on some barn wood for the mantel.

That's a damned fine looking install right there!

As BeGreen notes, Jotul does a good job with their enameling and has done so for many years. I've got a used 22 year-old #3 with a gray enamel finish. I purchased it last year and friends can't believe it's 22 years old. It looks brand new. There are a few tiny chips on it but I would need to point them out for someone to notice. Other manufacturers don't do quite so good a job. I've seem some enamel stoves that look like they had chicken pox.
ChipTam

jugarf said:
How do you polish the matte finish? I've never heard of that. How often do you do it? Got any closeup pics?

Good questions, I'm eagerly waiting for replies. Matte black owner here.

jugarf said:
Logger, that looks great. Does the tv get hot that close to the stove?

Thanks guys, I've since moved the TV over another foot to be safe, but even where it was it only felt a tad warm to the touch, which I dont think is that bad for it. I think hanging a TV over a stove would probably cause some damage though.

logger said:
jugarf said:
Logger, that looks great. Does the tv get hot that close to the stove?

Thanks guys, I've since moved the TV over another foot to be safe, but even where it was it only felt a tad warm to the touch, which I dont think is that bad for it. I think hanging a TV over a stove would probably cause some damage though.
There was a thread on that here a little while back. Sounds risky to me, too.

You can try polishing a matte black finish, but most of the stove polish companies do not recommend this as the wax will not properly penetrate the finish. Stove polish is really designed for raw cast iron.

Has anyone out there even painted the matte black with another color stove paint? I saw many colors, including metalics. That opens up a world of possibilities. I'm just wondering how it would actually look.

cycloxer said:
You can try polishing a matte black finish, but most of the stove polish companies do not recommend this as the wax will not properly penetrate the finish. Stove polish is really designed for raw cast iron.

Hmm so what is the best way to maintain the matte black finish?

I kinda wish I had known the blue-black enamel would maintain its looks better than matte black before I bought my Castine a few weeks ago. The shop didn't have one to look at. The wife heard blue and said no in a hurry but I understand it is much more black than blue. We went with matte black to avoid the worries over chips in a enamel finish. Oh well we are loving the Castine, just don't want it to get looking too rustic in our living room.

If the finish fades you have two options. One is to respray it with 1200 degree stove paint. The other is to strip the finish and then polish it with stove polish. It's a matter of how much time you want to invest and what finish you want. You can try to polish the matte paint and I know some people do it, but I can't say how it will work. I personally do not like the blue black finish as I think it looks like battleship gray from WWI. To each his own.

cycloxer said:
OK , thanks for the info

Ticmxman said:
cycloxer said:

Hmm so what is the best way to maintain the matte black finish?

I kinda wish I had known the blue-black enamel would maintain its looks better than matte black before I bought my Castine a few weeks ago. The shop didn't have one to look at. The wife heard blue and said no in a hurry but I understand it is much more black than blue. We went with matte black to avoid the worries over chips in a enamel finish. Oh well we are loving the Castine, just don't want it to get looking too rustic in our living room.
Jotul's blue-black is indeed beautiful. I saw one in the showroom before we bought our flat black. I regret not getting the blue-black, even though it was several hundred $ more (the dealer must have had a surplus of flat black ones or something, as he was discounting them way more). The black is fine, but the blue-black is something special.

grommal said:
Ticmxman said:
cycloxer said:

Hmm so what is the best way to maintain the matte black finish
Jotul's blue-black is indeed beautiful. I saw one in the showroom before we bought our flat black. I regret not getting the blue-black, even though it was several hundred $ more (the dealer must have had a surplus of flat black ones or something, as he was discounting them way more). The black is fine, but the blue-black is something special.

Does Jotul have this plan? So I could swap for a blue-black castine.
http://www.gm.com/guarantee/?brandId=gm&src=gm_com&evar24=gm_com_vlp_60DayGuarantee

Status
Not open for further replies.