Jotul Blue Flames Question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Texas123

Apr 12, 2016
Stephenville, TX
I have a Jotul 500.

Right now there is a bed of coals about three inches deep and the remnants of the last log I loaded on top of them. The primary air is at 50 percent, so the secondary air system is working as it is designed.

I am seeing flickering blue flames from the coals, similar to the blue flames of a propane or natural gas stove.

If I understand the combustion correctly, I have achieved an almost complete combustion in the firebox.

How often do you all see these blue flames in your firebox. ?

Thank you very much: Texas123.

About 20 percent of the time.

Black Locust gives a lot of blue flames..

I see them 8.258 % of the time.

I get them with larger logs at the middle to end of the burn cycle which for me in my HI200 is about every 3 hours.

Depends on the wood its seems for me.

Blue flames tend to be the combustion of hydrogen, while yellow flames are likely combustion of carbon, often carbon that is hot and incandescent. Yellow flames tend to be dust entrained in the combustion air.

These colors are particularly characteristic of flames from burning gas such as propane, but can apply to wood as well.

Not sure how often I see them, but when you do ... well they are pretty darn cool!

It is beautiful. It looks unreal, almost looks like a video of a wood stove burning. My girlfriend loves that Oslo and she has started a new religion, Woodstovism. This cult was started in Norway 140 years ago.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick