Jotul Allagash stove odor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spcnp

Feb 6, 2022
Massachusetts
I have a 19 year old Jotel GF3 Alagash stove that has worked well until this year.
When I would turn it on, there was a strong exhaust smell.
The repairman said the chimney wasn't drawing well and showed me how to take a hair dryer and heat up the back of the stove to start the draw-like the old sticking up a lighted piece of newspaper in the fireplace. (never had to do this before this year)
That has helped, but, still, there is a slight odor.
I'm afraid to use it-it can't be good for us to breathing in these fumes.
What it wrong and what should I do about it?

I don’t have a lot of experience with those B-Vent units. If the unit is not drafting we’ll have you checked for blockages? Beehive? Bird’s nest?

Yes, had the chimney checked and it's ok.
I had a chimney cap put on the another chimney and the chimney people are saying that that changed the pressurization in the house which has led to the gas stove not drawing well.
A direct venting stove seems to be the least expensive option.
If you know of another solution, I would be grateful to hear it.

One way to check the house pressure is to open a window. Make sure EVERY other venting blower is off. Range hood. Clothes dryer. Bathroom exhaust fan.

Hate to be dense, but what will opening a window do? Do you mean run the stove and open a window to see if the chimney draws better?