Jotul 8 Help, please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NurseNancy

Sep 16, 2019
OR
My landlord installed a Jotul 8 (upgraded from a 600) The chimney configuration is the same. Tested a couple of fires but having trouble with the smoke not going up the chimney even with the glass door open.
Wood is not wet or green.
From what I read, the draft is full open when slid to the right. When I do that, it appears closed.(see last picture)
Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1102.JPG
    IMG_1102.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 252
Looks like this may be the catalytic version. If so, the knob on the upper right operates the bypass damper which must be open to start the fire.

I have to tell you that this is an illegal installation. There are numerous code and safety violations, starting with the improper hearth, too close clearances, single wall pipe too close to the ceiling, a dubious wall pass-thru, stove pipe being used for chimney pipe which is way too close to the house.