Jotul 602 rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jmcindric

Jul 19, 2020
Ohio
Hi everyone

I am going start a rebuild of a green enameled 602 that I picked up recently. I am not sure of the age of the stove. It doesn't have a glass door and it does have the bakelite (?) plastic knob on the handle. Anyways, I digress.

I am planning taking it apart and redoing the metal to metal joints with Rutland furnace cement. The cement directions say to let it set for an hour and then with-in 30 days gradually heat the stove to 500 degrees to cure the cement.

Can I just set the stove on our driveway and build a fire and bring it to temp? Should I have a section of stove pipe on the stove if I do it this way? Damper in the pipe?

Yes, you can do it in the driveway, but it will need some sort of flue. For a temporary flue you can use a 4 ft section of stove pipe or even warm air duct considering it's outdoors. If the stove has not been fired for a long time, make a couple break-in fires first before bringing it up to 500º. The first fire should just be kindling, let it cool, then another small fire with a few 2-3" sticks added.

Be generous with the seam sealing, then wipe off the excess on the exterior with a damp rag.

Where would be the best place to put the thermometer in this stove for the cure firing and in use? Stove top between cook plate and exhaust or on the stove pipe.

Yes, that should work on the stovetop for curing. With the installed operation, I ran two thermometers. One on the stove and one above the key damper on the stovepipe. The F602 is a willing little heater. With a decent flue, it needs very little air once a fire is burning well. I close the air all the way down and then just give the air control a couple taps to very slightly open it.