Jotul 602 rear baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a picture in an old thread on installing a rear, interior burn plate. This is a heat-shield, not a baffle. What I did was bolt a thick steel plate to the back wall with nuts as spacers to create a small gap from the rear of the stove.

Last edited:
I have a picture in an old thread on installing a rear, interior burn plate. This is a heat-shield, not a baffle. What I did was bolt a thick steel plate to the back wall with nuts as spacers to create a small gap from the rear of the stove.

That looks great, thanks for sharing. I do have a few questions. Did you just use 1/4" plate steel and did you hold it up off the bottom and hold it short of the top baffle to allow air flow around it?

No it was more like #10 steel. It is bolted with 10-24 screws with a nut behind the plate to act as a spacer. It's a pretty close fit, but not snug-tight. This made a major difference in overheating the rear of the stove.