Jotul 550 Upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

junkyard_sal

Hearth Supporter
Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Hello

I have had a Jotul 550 for a decade. I have always found it pound and my wife and I want to consider an upgrade because we can use the Jotul in another location where fan noise is less intrusive. I am heating 2400 square feet of first (living space) and second (bedrooms) in a 100+ year old masonry home with good windows but literally no insulation in the mid-atlantic Baltimore/DC.

I was looking at EPA 2020 upgrades:

Blaze King Princess PI29
Travis Medium/Large Flush mount
Pacific Energy True North

We have a Woodstock Soapstone Survival in our VT home and it is amazing so I have made my peace with catalyst stoves.

If considering a PE insert you should be looking at the Summit insert, not the 2 cu ft True North.