Jotul 550 Rockland Comments

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
yes, I’d bu curious about the stove top temps. You don’t look out of control in the video. Coals look brighter (hotter) than I’d expect on low. I’d expect more secondary combustion, but lots of factors could impact that. I know that if air was getting in around the door area, you’d see noticeably more soot buildup on the glass in the soots that air was leaking in.
~ See video below of wood stacked tightly. Within 1 - 2 hours of reloading on coals

scrapped to the front, it was raging and the temperature had reached max on the reader.
~ Curious, does anyone know what the wire on the bottom of the stove above the fan is for?

9C5F0157-F745-4B90-8C13-2A6BB748A43E.jpeg
View attachment 268854

I was curious to see how you’re making out with keeping the stove in control. How is the fireproof insulation working?

I was curious to see how you’re making out with keeping the stove in control. How is the fireproof insulation working?
Happy 2021!

The fireproof insulation did okay. I ended up putting a screw into all three holes. it was more about making sure no air got it.

But, still having issues. I have noticed a lot of coloring around the bottom of the door and the outside. And after the nightly burn, the top of the ash inside the door has a black/brown color to it. It’s not white/gray.

Happy 2021!

The fireproof insulation did okay. I ended up putting a screw into all three holes. it was more about making sure no air got it.

But, still having issues. I have noticed a lot of coloring around the bottom of the door and the outside. And after the nightly burn, the top of the ash inside the door has a black/brown color to it. It’s not white/gray.
Sorry to hear you’re still having that trouble. Hopefully you’re still able to stay warm. I’ll keep you posted if anything I try works better than the screw in doghouse thing or the insulation. I was burning some wetter wood for a while so I was not noticing any extra air issues, of course. I’m back into dry stuff and have to be a bit careful. If the issues with mine is the front of stove having slight warp, then that really bites. I did overfired stove once, but not to major degree. A quality name like Jotul should hold up better than that. Especially given that I’m sure I’m more careful than most. I wonder if they had some quality issues with the batches we were a part of.

Reactions: djc550