jotul 550 fan rheostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcollect

Hearth Supporter
Jan 23, 2008
Garrett County, Md
The rheostat on my 2 YO insert stopped working except on high. I called the stove shop and they ordered me a new one under warranty. I picked it up today but for the life of me remove the front grill that covers the switch. How does one loosen the bolts that hold it on? BTW I can access the rear of the unit because it was in a two sided fireplace.

I think you may be able to just lift up the lower grille. It looks like it has a pair of hang tabs holding it in place. Unplug the blower first.

BG That is what I thought. Is it possible that when it was installed they were over tightened. If so could I pry it open, afraid to use much pressure as it is cast iron.

From the manual's diagram, it looks like there are a pair of 10mm bolts holding the tabs. Maybe they tightened them up when installing? Look in the upper right and left corners of the grillework. They should only be loosened, not removed.

Mine are fully tight and slide on and off. Doesnt take a lot of pressure. It just slides straight up, and if memory serves I think you might have to have the door open so the door doesnt block it but not 100% sure on that. I dont think you can access them once the grill is in place.

Oilburner
you are correct. Ican't access them at all. I went to the shop and made a brass pry bar, but alas, the wife was cold lit a fire, so I'll have to wait til tomorrow to try.

OK, so now even a brass pry bar didn't move the grill. So I put a cheap 10mm box end wrench in the HOT coals until red hot. In a pair of tongs I bent the wrench to like a 75' angle quenched it and through the second slot from the end,a quarter turn on each bolt, and the grill is off. If any one needs to do this the wrench is a free loaner. Thanks for the insight.

mcollect said:
OK, so now even a brass pry bar didn't move the grill. So I put a cheap 10mm box end wrench in the HOT coals until red hot. In a pair of tongs I bent the wrench to like a 75' angle quenched it and through the second slot from the end,a quarter turn on each bolt, and the grill is off. If any one needs to do this the wrench is a free loaner. Thanks for the insight.
Necessity is the mother of invention. Great work!

Wow, I wonder if your grill warped? Or maybe the tolerances are such that ours are a little different. My bolts are fully tightened and the grill is loose. That was pretty clever with the wrench!

Status
Not open for further replies.