Jotul 550 air draw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
With the blowers off on this insert, I was doing smoke test on door for first time. When going around lower part of stove, inoticed there is some draw from underneath the stove where the blowers sit. No noticeable cracks in floor of firebox. I just read in manual that the air inlets for primary and secondary air are located toward the rear of the firebox. I'm figuring what I am seeing is the slight draw from those inlets, but for some reason figure that That would not show up on smoke test. Stove appears to be functioning as normal with dry wood. Any thought would be appreciated.

Sounds ok. Draft will create a negative pressure zone under the insert.

The primary air intake is under the decorative cast iron trim above the door with the slider in it. The secondary intake though takes its air through the bottom channel where the blowers are, so that is probably the draw you were experiencing.

I just read in manual that the air inlets for primary and secondary air are located toward the rear of the firebox. I'm figuring what I am seeing is the slight draw from those inlets, but for some reason figure that That would not show up on smoke test.
Most likely you were seeing either the air inlet feeding the doghouse or the secondaries (or both). Not sure what you mean that would not "show up" though.

Status
Not open for further replies.