jotul 400 castine surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tanyal

Mar 6, 2018
new jersey
We just installed a jotul castine 400 with double wall pipe to reduce clearance along with a rear heat shield. passed inspection but notice that the wall next to stove reaches approx. 170f. Contractor said it passed so no need to worry but too hot for my liking. My question, if I put cultured stone or airstone (lowes) onto the sheetrock, it will be in the clearance section. Will the stone transfer to heat to sheetrock? If I put in cement board with a 1" air space, will it still be too close to stove now that its installed and I will be in the clearance zone? If we did install the 1" air gap, then the cement board and stone on top of that, how do you cover the gap? I imagine it looks bad? is it necessary?

I experienced the same concerns with the Castine. It radiated a lot of heat in our corner installation and our walls were at times reading 165º in spite of having larger than required clearances. You can add some wall shielding. Cultured stone is cement. It would absorb some heat and would provide a little shielding. A proper ventilated wall shield will do a much better job. Regardless, the clearance to the wall(s) is still to the nearest combustible. As long as there is no combustible in the shielding the combustible remains the drywall behind it. There are some nice stone looking tiles that could be used on cement board if the space between the stove and the wall shield is getting tight. Or, move the hearth and stove forward a bit with an offset in the stove pipe.