Jotul #4 log length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ejmckenna1

Aug 27, 2024
Massachusetts
My friend gave me a Jotul #4. I'm excited to get it polished up and fire up this winter. I've only ever operated pellet stoves, so this will be my first season with a wood stove. My question is about log length. The manual states 12". Is it possible that it can take the standard 16" logs. I'm at work so I have yet to measure it, but I'm guessing someone here might have some seasoned expertise to offer!

Congratulations, very cool stove! I heated a two hundred year old building with on of those back in the early 2000’s and it was a great stove. I remember it having a rather large fire box . Might be a good idea to see how a 16 inch log will actually work trying to fit into the stove. There is nothing scarier than trying to fit an oversized log in, have it ignite, only to realize it is not going to fit. Good luck with your new stove!