Jotul 3TDIC-2 Back Burn Plate fitment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mmccaughey

Nov 17, 2019
East Burke Vermont
Im in the process of rebuilding my 1990 jotul 3tdic-2 and am looking to see if anyone has run into back burn plate fitting issues. After installing the side burn plates and sliding the new back burn plate in, there is a 1/4 gap between side and back burn plate. Is this normal? It seems ash could get around the back burn plate and clog up the catalytic combustor.

I just rebuilt one about 3 weeks ago & I don't recall seeing a gap that large...
Maybe you have something warped in there...

That's what I was thinking maybe the side burn plates are warped outward to much. there is a lot of left to right play in the side burn plates but they fit perfect in the bottom burn plate. Im thinking of running a bead of furnace cement along the gaps to seal them up. Any t
Resized_20191117_210748.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I was thinking maybe the side burn plates are warped outward to much. there is a lot of left to right play in the side burn plates but they fit perfect in the bottom burn plate. Im thinking of running a bead of furnace cement along the gaps to seal them up. Any t
View attachment 251747
Did you ever get this sorted out?
I am in Vermont, not too far from you.
I have the same stove - a Jotul 3 TDIC-2.

I got a bunch of internal parts, but I cant fit them because it seems like my 'inner back plate' is also warped (previous owner overfired) and it is a discontinued part (#102938). And it is #9 on the parts visual diagram. it is preventing everything else from fitting properly.

Is the stove working out for you? I like mine a lot, but burn times are very short.

For older Jotuls I have found a little bit of grinding on the new part is sometimes necessary to get the part to fit.

For older Jotuls I have found a little bit of grinding on the new part is sometimes necessary to get the part to fit.
That is a good idea. But the raised convex portion of the 'inner back plate' (#9) is warped so I can not fit my new 'mixing grate' (#7) and then also can not fit the new 'back burn plate' (#74).

That portion of the inner back plate is rounded from being melted by previous owner. I think it used to be more square.

Is it possible to heat it and bend it back? Can a blacksmith do it? Or is it impossible with that type of metal?
Thanks for advice.