Q&A Jotul 3cb wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I purchased a jotul 3cb wood stove 8 months ago. I only have used it for 6 months and I am having trouble controlling the temperature on it. I have the air shut all the way off and it still gets to a temp of 550 degrees. I called the store i purchased it from and they said its normal. I don't think that it is. There is also white powder on the outside of the stove i believe it is breaking down from the heat.

Answer:

The powder is probably simply excess furnace cement from the seams.

As far as the temperature goes, it is very possible that a stove could reach 550 shut down...depending on at which point it was shut down. If there are numerous embers in the stove, then shutting the air down can actually make it hotter.

The best way to limit temperature might be to limit both the wood and the air.

Also, if you suspect an overdraft, install a turn or barometric damper. This will allow for the reduction of your draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.