Jotul 118b refurbish

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trangitsch

Jul 22, 2024
Lander, Wy
I just acquired a 1979 Jotul 118b. I’ve disassembled it and scraped all the rust off of it and am getting ready to reassemble. I have a couple of issues. The front plate has two of hairline cracks from the door opening almost through to the edge. I don’t know about the stability of these or how concerned I should be. They don’t seem big enough to braze and I’m not sure stove cement or any other product would penetrate into the cracks to stabilize them. I found a 118 front plate for sale on eBay. My question is, should I be concerned about the hairline cracks, is there a good way to stabilize them, or should I replace the front plate? I also don’t know if the 118 front plate would fit the 118b stove. Any input would be appreciated.

The other issue it that the bottom burn plate is warped. Can you heat the plate and correct the warp? I don’t know anything about welding, etc.

Again thanks for any help.

Are the hairline cracks in the side burn plates? If so, they may be ok for a year or two but will bear watching. Can you post some pictures of the cracks? Same for the warped bottom plate.

Woodmans still sells parts for these stoves.

Last edited:
Are the hairline cracks in the side burn plates? If so, they may be ok for a year or two but will bear watching. Can you post some pictures of the cracks? Same for the warped bottom plate.

Woodmans still sells parts for these stoves.
Jotul 118b refurbishJotul 118b refurbishJotul 118b refurbishJotul 118b refurbishJotul 118b refurbish
The top pics are of the hairline cracks in the front plate. The warped bottom burner plate is next. The side burner plates both have larger cracks. I wasn’t sure how important they were to fix. I was going to deal with them if they break in two, but if that’s not a good idea I’m open to suggestions.

I saw the available parts on line at that website. Unfortunately they don’t have a front plate available. The only thing I could find for sale was the 118 front plate on eBay and I’m unsure if it is the same as 118b.

Btw thanks for the quick response.

Cracks in the stove body are serious. The front body frame should be replaced. Is this the part on eBay? It should fit.

The cracked side burn plate will need to be replaced soon but may make it through a season.

check the middle of the exterior side panels. The common crack spots run from top to bottom in this spot. I'd bet you'll find a hairline crack on 1 or both sides.

Before u buy parts really look closely at all exterior surfaces. With that warpage and cracks there most likely will be more cracks yet to be discovered.